Sarah Muller: Digital editor

Sarah Muller/Iowa State Daily

Sarah Muller interviewing a subject during her freshman year at Iowa State University. 

Sarah Muller

I’ve known I wanted to work for the Iowa State Daily since I was a sophomore in high school. 

I had no clue what I was getting myself into.

I’ve worked as the reporter of greek life, reporter of the Thielen Student Health Center, news editor of student life and digital editor. 

I was probably too confident for my own good when I walked into the newsroom as a freshman, but my former editor, Dani Ferguson, welcomed me with open arms. I could do this. I could be a journalist.

It wasn’t until sophomore year that I got a reality check. 

I can’t even count the amount of times I crept into my apartment past 1 a.m., trying not to wake my roommates because I had a late night at the office, the times I came home hungry and realized I was so busy that I hadn’t had lunch or dinner, the times I started a conversation with friends and realized I missed so much of their lives because I was working. 

I also can’t count the amount of times that my peers and I have received messages and emails of appreciation, the times we were nominated and accepted awards, the times I’ve laughed and cried with our staff. 

I thought things would be different when I became digital editor. I was wrong. 

Everyone who writes on our Facebook, Twitter or website, hello. I’m the one who reads your comments. The scary thing about the internet is anyone will say anything. I’ve read some comments that have provoked positive and negative emotions. I’ve read comments that have made me really wonder and dwell on their arguments. I’ve read comments that I have removed for their graphic nature. 

I’ve also read comments of people whom we have educated, informed and entertained. I’ve read comments of people who have laughed because of our content or are thankful for our information.

I’ve always viewed my job as a bridge. I connect the audience to the events happening. Please, keep commenting. Let us know how we are doing. Maybe I’ll respond.