Iowa State graduates double as landlords, urge safety and comfort

Willa Colville

On the corner of 7th Street and Douglas sits a three-story, yellow house.

Built in 1904 by the former mayor of Ames, George Baker, the house is just a block away from a bus stop. It’s also next to a bank, post office and a grocery store. Additionally, it is only a short walk away from Main Street which includes an abundance of local businesses.

Surrounded by a tall wooden fence, the house boasts a backyard with a chicken coop and garden. The property is owned by Ames residents Clark Colby and Kristen Greteman.

In their late 20s and fresh out of grad school, it may come to a surprise that the couple doubles as landlords. For nearly four years, Clark and Kristen have lived in this old-style home in the historic district in which they also rent to Iowa State Students, faculty and citizens of Ames.  

“Becoming a landlord at a young age is a slow process because it does require money, but in the end is worth it,” Clark said.

The house had been undergoing foreclosure in 2014 when Clark and Kristen stumbled upon it. Just after grad school, Clark had been living with his parents in order to save money for a property. Though this one needed a lot of work, Clark and Kristen decided to buy it.

“Clark did most of the plumbing and some electrical work in the first year,” Kristen said, recalling one of their first memories in their house. Once, while Clark was attempting to fix the radiators throughout the house, one on the second floor leaked through to the kitchen.

“We grabbed all our pots and anything we could to catch the leaking water,” Kristen added.

They have since fixed the radiators and installed new windows to fit rental regulations.  

Before they moved in, the backyard was plain bearing just grass and a few plants. The couples first tenant, in 2014, helped them fill the backyard with different vegetable plants.

“Some people might see the garden as messy,” Clark said. “But we thought the house could use more character.” 

The house is split into separate apartments, so Clark and Kristen are able to live in as well as rent the different suites. Currently they have three tenants. Since that first year, Clark and Kristen have rented to a total of six people. Similar to the couple, most of the tenants were students or staff at Iowa State. 

Both Clark and Kristen graduated from Iowa State with bachelor degrees in architecture. Then they both continued school to receive their master’s degree in architecture. Kristen also earned her master’s degree in community and regional planning and hopes to eventually pursue a Ph/D.

Presently, Clark teaches a photography class for the College of Design at Iowa State.

Though they are fairly new to renting themselves, Kristen and Clark are knowledgable about living situations in Ames. From living in the dorms, to Fredriksen Court, to the Campustown apartments and to renting in the West Ames area, the couple has seen it all. This helps them understand the wants and needs of their tenants.

Because of this, they believe that their current old-style home would be the ideal place for college students to live due to the tight-knit community and neighborhood atmosphere. 

“We have gotten to know our neighbors across the street,” Kristen said, “They have lived in the same house for a long time and have seen residents come and go. They told us the history of our house and Clark will shovel their driveway in the winter.” 

“I believe community is important for students’ success and the community we live in is different from any other community in Ames,” Kristen said. “The apartment I lived in on campus did not feel like a home. I wish that I had decided to move here earlier.”

Clark reiterated Kristen’s thoughts.

“Students do not have the chance to learn about the community of Ames while living directly on campus. They also need a comfortable, safe place to live that can be their home for their time at ISU.” 

Eventually, Kristen and Clark hope to buy more properties in Ames to rent.