Recipes travel to Ames from around the world

Arab: Chicken Kabsa, Karak tea, Baklava

Jill O'Brien

Missed International Week’s World Cuisine event? Here are the recipes for some of the international foods served at the event.

Arab Student Association

Karak Tea

25 bags black tea

12 cups sugar

7 tbsp ground cardamom

1 ½ gallons condensed milk

9 gallons boiling water

20 cardamom pods

6 gallons whole milk

In a saucepan on medium heat, add water and milk together and let boil. Add tea, sugar and cardamom. Stir until sugar has dissolved and let boil. Simmer, cool and serve.

Chicken Kabsa

⅓ cup vegetable oil

2 cups onions

2 ½ cups chicken (halal preferred)

1 tbsp salt

½ tbsp ground pepper

½ tbsp cardamom powder

½ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp clove powder

1 tbsp tomato paste

2 cups tomatoes, chopped

1 ½ cups long-grain rice

2 cups carrots, shredded

⅓ cup raisins

⅓ cup almonds, blanched and halved

½ tsp grated ginger

Wash and soak the rice in cold water for 45 minutes. In a big pot, add vegetable oil, chopped onion and ginger. Fry on medium heat until brown. Add the chicken and brown it on both sides.

Add the cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, dried lime, salt, pepper and water, cover and let the chicken cook for 25 minutes on medium-high heat. Fry the raisins until plump and brown in a little bit of oil, drain and keep them aside. Then do the same thing with the almonds. Keep aside.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and put it in a baking pan. Broil it in a hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep aside. Drain the rice and put it in the pot from which you removed the chicken. Add the shredded carrots and mix well. Cover with a clean tea towel and then cover with a lid to prevent the steam from evaporating too quickly.

Cook the rice for 20 to 25 minutes on medium heat. Serve the rice topped with chicken and roasted almonds and raisins.

Baklava

1 pound walnuts, ground

1 ½ tsp cinnamon, ground

1 cup sugar

2 tbsp sugar

1 cup unsalted butter

Zest of one whole lemon

1 tsp rose water

1 tsp orange blossom water

1 package phyllo pastry

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine the walnuts, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl and set aside. In the bottom of a greased 9 by 13-inch pan, place one layer of phyllo and brush with butter. Repeat six times, buttering each delicate layer until you have seven layers of phyllo.

Spoon 1/3 of the nut mixture over the phyllo and top with five more individually buttered sheets of phyllo. Repeat the process two more times and finish with seven layers of phyllo.

Brush the final layer with butter and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. While the baklava is baking, make syrup.

Add all of the syrup ingredients to a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the baklava from the oven and pour the syrup evenly over the top. Cut into squares or diamonds and serve.

Courtesy of the Arab Student Association

Brazilian Student Association

Brigadeiro

1 can evaporated milk

1 spoonful of butter

1 can condensed milk

3 spoons Nesquik powder

Combine all of the ingredients and bake until it has a creamy consistency.

Brazilian Empanadas

2 liters corn oil

4.5 ounces (½ cup) minced garlic

1 onion

2 olives

4 cups ground beef

2 cups mozzarella cheese

Oregano

Salt

Empanada dough

Cook meat with garlic, onions, salt, oil and olives. Fill empanada dough with meat and cheese.

Passionfruit juice

1 bottle passionfruit juice

4 liters (16 cups) water

Sugar

Mix water and concentrate. Add sugar.

Recipes courtesy of Brazilian Student Association

Indian Student Association

Khasta-Kachori Chaat

2 cups all-purpose flour

¼ cup ghee

Salt

½ cup yellow gram, split

3 cups oil

5 tbsp cumin

¼ cup asafoetida

3 tbsp ginger paste

100 grams (6 ⅔ tbsp) green chili

2 tsp red chili powder

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp dried mango powder

2 tbsp besan

1 cup sev

3 cups dahi

4 tbsp chutney paste

Dates

1 tsp black salt

100 grams (6 ⅔ tbsp) coriander

50 grams (3 ⅓ tbsp) mint, chopped

1 tsp pari-pari masala

Lemon juice (to taste)

Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add seeds. When seeds crackle, add asafoetida, yellow gram and dahi. Mix well.

Add ginger, green chili, mango powder, chili powder, masala, salt and besam and cook until brown. Divide dough and mixture into 12 equal portions. Make a ball out of the filling, flatten dough and fry in a pan.

Place kachori on a plate. Add curd, chutney, cumin powder, chili powder and sev.

Moong-dal Halwa

½ cup yellow split gram

½ cup ghee

½ cup milk

½ cup sugar

¼ tsp saffron

1 tbsp water

½ tsp cardamom

2 tbsp almond

Heat ghee in a pan and add moong-dal paste and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Add ½ cup water, milk and mix well. Add sugar and mix well.

Add saffron, cardamom and almonds and cook well or until brown.

Lemonade

2 lemons

2 glasses water, chilled

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp chaat masala

2 tbsp sugar

Mint leaves

Squeeze lemon juice into water. Add sugar, cumin powder, chaat masala and mint leaves. Mix until ingredients dissolve. Serve chilled.

Russian-Speaking Student Association and Russian Club

Pilauf

1 kg rice

½ kg beef

1 kg onion

1 kg carrot

1 L water

2 whole garlic stalks

2 tsp cumin

1 ½ tbsp tumeric

¾ cup oil

Salt (to taste)

Pour oil into pan. Heat it, then add onion and fry it for a little bit. Add meat and let its juice come out. After that, add diced carrots, garlic and spices. Mix everything together and then add water. Let it all simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes. Add rice, cover and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.

Borscht

2 beets

5 whole potatoes

2 ½ whole onions

2 ½ whole carrots

2 ½ red peppers

¾ head of cabbage

2 ½ tbsp tomato paste

2 cups vegetable stock

50 grams sunflower oil

3 cloves garlic

1 bunch dill

Salt (to taste)

Pepper (to taste)

Sour cream

Wash and dice potatoes. Wash and shred beets, onions, carrots and cabbage into thin slices. Add oil to pan, fry beets for four minutes. Add onion and garlic, fry for one minute. Add carrot, fry for four minutes. Add red pepper, fry for one minute. Add tomato paste, mix and fry for five more minutes.

Pour in two cups of water or stock, cover and boil on a low flame for 10 minutes. In a separate pot, boil potatoes, about 10 minutes. Add cabbage and cook for five minutes. Add fried ingredients and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chopped dill, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 15 minutes with the lid on. Serve with sour cream and dill garnish.

Kompot

2 packages frozen berry blend (any fruit)

1 package dried fruit mix

4 cups white sugar

1 gallon water

Bring water to a boil. Add berry mix, dried fruit mix and half of sugar and bring water back to a boil. Switch to medium heat and let the mixture boil for 30 minutes uncovered and add the remainder of the sugar. Let kompot cool completely. Serve chilled.

Courtesy of Russian-Speaking Student Association and Russian Club

Vietnamese International Student Association

Fresh Spring Roll

5 lbs shrimp, cooked

7 to 10 pounds pork or lean meat

3 bags thin cut vermicelli noodles

10 bags rice paper

6 pieces red lettuce

1 jar hoisin sauce

1 jar peanut butter

Salt

Sugar

Prepare shrimp and pork. Boil the water, add the shrimp and cook for 30 to 60 seconds until just cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp and set aside to cool down.

While the water is still boiling, add the pork, reduce the heat and boil until cooked through. Remove the pork and let it cool. Once the shrimp have cooled, slide each one in half horizontally. Once the pork has cooled, cut across the grain to create a thin slice of pork. Set the pork and shrimp aside.

Wash the lettuce thoroughly and remove the ribs. Then assemble spring roll.

Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip the rice paper into the water to soften. Lay down on a cutting board. In a row across the center, place two shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, lettuce, two slices of pork, leaving about two inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered side inward. Then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

To make sauce:

In a small saucepan, whisk hoisin sauce and peanut butter together. Use less liquid for a thicker sauce and more for a thinner sauce. Add sugar and salt if needed. Heat over a low flame until all the mixture combine. Remove the sauce from heat.

Serve rolled spring roll with the cooked sauce.

Courtesy of Vietnamese International Student Association