A timeline of Iowa State race relations over the past 2 years

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

A student speaks to a group of protesters around the immigration statue on Central Campus Nov. 11. Students and staff gathered together for a “Not My President” protest, where anyone was welcome to come up and speak their frustrations. 

Sarah Muller

Read our full story about student reactions to recent events here. Check out the gallery here.

Sept. 12, 2015 Student protesters of then Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gathered at the Cy-Hawk tailgates while Trump visited Ames. Shelby Mueller, an attendee of the tailgates, ripped a protester’s poster while saying to vote for white supremacy.

Sept. 30, 2015 In response to the poster ripping, Multicultural Student Affairs and Student Government hosted an open forum. Approximately 550 students, faculty and staff shared their stories of discrimination to then President Steven Leath, then Senior Vice President of Student Affairs Thomas Hill and then Dean of Students Pamela Anthony.

Oct. 15, 2015 Reginald Stewart is introduced as Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion.

Oct. 22-30, 2015 The Strategic Planning Steering Committee assigns six subcommittees, one of which focused on making the campus “welcoming, safe and inclusive.”

Nov. 13, 2015 The George Washington Carver statue placed outside of Carver Hall was vandalized with shaving cream. Motivation was not known and then President Leath released a statement.

Nov 16, 2015 Multicultural groups gather at Beardshear Hall to support students at the University of Missouri after multiple African American students were discriminated against.

Oct. 27, 2016 Approximately 20 ‘white heritage’ posters were found around Iowa State’s campus. One poster stated “In 1950 America was 90 percent white, it’s now only 60 percent white. Will you become a minority in your own country?”

April 13, 2016 Members of Leaders United for Change (LUCHA) took the floor during Student Government Senate to address Iowa State’s problems with racism and exclusion.

Nov. 7, 2016 After the posters were found on campus and the day before the election, then President Leath released a video statement about the climate on campus. “Please hear me when I say this – anyone who feels their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or political views makes them superior to others is encouraged to find another institution that aligns with their views. Iowa State is not the place for you,” he said.

Nov. 11, 2016 After President Donald Trump was elected, a group of students gathered for a protest named “Not My President.” They marched to then President Leath’s office to confront him in Beardshear Hall.

Nov. 15, 2016 More ‘white heritage’ posters were found on campus detailing similar messages to the ones posted three weeks before. One poster said, “In these times of degeneracy, this is true rebellion.”

Jan 27, 2017 Alt-right materials, similar to posters of ‘white heritage’, were found in the library. 

March 3, 2017 When former President Steven Leath took the podium at Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity (ISCORE), student Itzel Zuniga stood with a megaphone and read a prepared statement that included, “you sir, are a racist.”

April 2, 2017 During Vespers, a greek award ceremony, members of some of the greek community “booed, mocked and made racial slurs” at students representing Multicultural Greek council and National Pan-Hellenic.

Aug. 17, 2017 Student’s Snapchat post of a picture of students in front of the Black Engineering Building sign with the caption “n***** only” circulates across Twitter and Facebook.