What you’re missing during a summer in Ames

Megan Salo

Ames in the summer is a completely different atmosphere than when all 36,000 students are hanging around. Here’s what makes summers in Ames great and why you should stick around at the end of this year.

Not surprisingly, Ames is a lot quieter in the summer due to the decrease in student population. You may think this is a bad thing, but when you can get to Target from campus in less than 10 minutes, you won’t miss the busy days. Also, less people means more space in the gyms, cafes and buses, shorter lines for food and coffee and more access to amenities such as counseling services and the health centers.

Summer classes are formatted easier and although they are scheduled for five days a week, they only last for half of the summer and you’re more likely to get personal help from your professors when the class sizes are smaller.

After your classes are over, you’ll have plenty of free time to check out Ames as a city and not just a campus. Summer is the perfect time to take advantage of the warm weather and explore Reiman Gardens and Ada Hayden or to visit the cute little shops, cafes and restaurants in North Ames and downtown.

During the summer there are also many fun activities that you won’t want to miss. There are two different farmer’s markets, one on Main Street and one by the North Grand Mall that sell fruits, vegetables, flowers, homemade gifts and more. Living in Ames also puts you in a great location to travel to Des Moines for their weekly farmer’s market which ranked second of the 101 Best Farmers Markets in America by The Daily Meal.

Although there are plenty of ways to relax and unwind in Ames during the summer, you’ll also get a few lessons on “adulting” if you stay. Because most of the dorms and greek houses are closed during these months, many students get their first taste of apartment life during the summer. Figuring out rent, utilities, buying your own food and cooking for yourself, living with roommates, etc. may seem terrifying, but what better way to ease into it when you don’t have a million other things going on? Plus, the students that are leaving for the summer may be subleasing their apartments so you might even get a deal on rent.

Another thing to ease into during the summer – a job. During the school year, you may be too busy for a part time job – or at least that’s what you tell your parents so they’ll keep sending you money. All of the businesses that are losing their student employees for the summer need to replace them and the best time to get adjusted to a job is when it’s slower. By the time campus is flooded with 36,000 broke students looking for a job, you’ll already have one and be ready for the crowds.

So, make sure to allot a summer in Ames into your four – or five, no judgement – years at Iowa State. Trust me, you won’t regret it.