Iowa State ranked in top 25 schools

Maggie Curry

Iowa State University just edged out of the top 10, ranking No. 11 in the best schools in the country by Schools.com.

“In order to get a good picture of the best four-year colleges in the U.S., we gathered mountains of data from the U.S. Department of Education and analyzed it through a rigorous 13-point system. We ranked more than 1,600 schools across the country based on affordability, flexibility, and other quantitative factors. When the dust settled, we came away with a pretty good idea of the 25 best schools in our 50 states,” the website says.

Criteria included tuition and fees, aid, median debt, repayment rates, number of programs offered, retention and student services.

So who made the list?

1. Utah State University

2. Texas A&M University at College Station

3. University of Utah

4. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

5. University of Florida

6. North Carolina State University at Raleigh

7. Utah Valley University

8. University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus

9. University of Maryland, College Park

10. Oklahoma State University Main Campus

11. Iowa State University

“Iowa State University has built an impressive array of degree programs since its founding in 1858. The more than 300 traditional programs available at the Ames campus earned it the No. 7 ranking in that category among our best four-year colleges in the U.S., and its online degree portfolio placed at No. 8 among schools on our list,” the website says.

It also cited access to a cutting-edge multimedia technology, the university’s Virtual Reality Applications Center (VRAC), and an on-campus VR machine called the C6 offers the highest-resolution enclosed virtual reality space on Earth, according to the website.