Common student jobs on campus

Rachel Ori

College is an expensive time in anyone’s life. Between keeping up with U-Bill payments and going out with friends, obtaining a job is at the top of many students’ lists when they get to campus.

Iowa State has many jobs on campus tailored toward students. With employment opportunities ranging from over-the-phone fundraising help to sales associate roles in the bookstore, anyone can find a position that fits their wants and needs.

ISU Dining offers dozens of positions for students every semester. The dining centers include the two main coffee shops on campus, Caribou Coffee and Bookends. Even more popular are the dining food stops, which include Seasons, Conversations, Storms and many others.

Flexible hours are available through the dining center, with pay offered from $10 an hour and up.

The campus bookstore is another popular job location. Positions range from cashier, online sales associates and textbook reservation leads, among others.

The bookstore is open year-round, which gives students the opportunity to work at the location during the summer and through any breaks in the school year. Part-time pay begins at $8 an hour.

Positions are available each semester to work at either of the two gyms on campus. The two gyms are on each side of campus, with Lied Gym near the Maple-Willow-Larch halls, and State Gym near Friley hall.

Each gym offers positions ranging from front-desk work to swim instructors and maintenance work.

Becoming a research assistant is a popular employment choice for students working toward a STEM degree. Undergraduates are encouraged to help professors research in labs and other exploration work.

Research positions are available during each semester and summer break. Pay for these roles can start at $10 an hour, which draws many students to apply for the limited positions. Speaking directly to a professor if possible and applying early are ways to make sure that a student’s name is added to the short list.

For education majors in particular, a job in tutoring can bolster a résumé. Student tutors and peer mentors are searched for at the beginning of each semester, with any and every subject field available to apply for.

Tutoring groups typically include less than five students, and meetings are held twice a week. Tutors are paid $9.50 an hour.

Office assistants are vital for each department on campus, with students able to play a direct role. From the financial aid center to the political science department and beyond, these duties include running errands and answering phones.

Each assistant position advertises flexible but steady weekly hours. Pay is set at $10 an hour.

Often overlooked, telemarketing jobs are open to students. These jobs are geared toward fundraising, with students calling alumni and other donors to maintain a relationship and update any changes from the donors.

Telemarketing jobs are part-time and offer flexible offers, with an hourly wage of over $9.

For students interested in technology, work computer technician and computer specialist roles are available. Each position is part-time and offers over $10 an hour for undergraduate students looking for real world experience in technology.

Technology positions are available each semester and through summer. Prior work in the field is necessary, with applicants also needing Windows and Mac experience.

All jobs mentioned in this list are available on campus and can be applied for through AccessPlus, via the student job board.