Iowa State goes winless in first day of Big 12 Tournament

Iowa State freshman Logan Schaben waits for the Oklahoma State pitch early in the game on Saturday.

Trevor Holbrook

Following a 10-0 defeat earlier in the afternoon, the Cyclones dropped their second Big 12 Tournament game Friday.

Iowa State fell behind two runs early to the Baylor Bears and could never recover, losing 4-0. The Cyclones played much sharper in the second game.

Sophomore pitcher Emma Hylen started the game pitching for the second time on Friday. Hylen gave up one run in the first inning, but she minimized the damage.

Hylen recovered much more smoothly this game, shutting down the Bears in the second inning.

Hylen made another mistake in the top of the third inning, giving up a solo home run.

After the early blunders, Hylen settled down and looked sharp. Baylor was unable to string together enough hits to get a runner home in the next three innings. The Bears did manage to smack a two-run home run in the seventh inning.

Iowa State struggled at the plate for the second game in a row.

The bottom of the sixth looked like Iowa State’s best chance to score. Freshman shortstop Logan Schaben drew a walk. Freshman second baseman Sami Williams followed with a single.

Junior outfielder Kaila Konz followed the freshmen tandem with a groundball out to advance them. The Cyclones quickly had runners on second and third, but Baylor was able pitch themselves out of the jam.

Iowa State was unable to mount a threat in the seventh inning, as well. For the second consecutive game, Iowa State was held scoreless.

The Cyclones play tomorrow for a chance at fifth place at 11 a.m.