Student Government connects with constituents through town hall

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

Student Government hosted a town hall meeting in the Multicultural Center in the Memorial Union on April  27.

Alli Weaver

It’s dead week, but the Student Government’s drive to keep students well represented is still alive and kicking.

The town hall event, hosted by the Student Government in the Multicultural Center on Thursday afternoon was attended by about 10 students.

These students were greeted by about 20 representatives from the Student Government throughout the three hour event.

The goal of this event was to allow students to meet their representatives, ask questions and express their concerns.

Student Government Vice President Cody Smith said that this event is intended to create a “social atmosphere where students from all cultures, backgrounds, anything that might be an identifier for them, feel comfortable coming to us with their concerns.”

Attendees shared their thoughts and concerns about subjects such as budget cuts, campus housing and meal plan changes and how those things affect Iowa State students.

“We’re trying to take steps to bring in students from all backgrounds and hear them out. This is one of those steps,” said Senator Cody Woodruff.

Although the turnout was not as high as anticipated, Student Government President Cody West and Smith led a discussion among the present Student Government members regarding issues including what they would look for in the future president of Iowa State.

Keith Robinder, interim dean of students, informed the Student Government representatives of his views on this issue.

“I think I would like to see someone who is student-centered,” Robinder said.

Education, according to Robinder, is the primary focus of the institution, and the president should have a good understanding of that.

The town hall event was originally set to take place last week on Thursday, but West announced that it would be held this Thursday in order to get it done right the first time, rather than feeling rushed.

According to West and Smith, this town hall style event will be recurring, possibly each month, starting next fall. These are events that aim to reach out toward student involvement in the Student Government, according to the town hall Facebook page.