DubH hip-hop club ignites passion in dancers

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

ISU hip hop club, DubH rehearses for their upcoming spring show. This year marks the clubs 15th anniversary and will take place in Ames Auditorium on April 7 at 7pm. 

Whitney Mason

For years, DubH has given its audience mind-blowing, crowd-pleasing performances, a tradition it plans to continue for years to come.

DubH is Iowa State’s hip-hop dance club, founded in 2001. The club is currently celebrating its 15-year anniversary. 

The student organization is the largest one on campus, with about 500 members including students, Iowa State alumni and Ames community members.

The club doesn’t have any membership qualifications. Individuals just need to have an interest in dancing and the commitment to join one of their many different dance routines.

Members credit the club with helping them discover their confidence and develop leadership skills that will be valuable for them after their time at Iowa State.

“It’s taught me life skills and opened up to greater connections with my peers,” Jenna Lambertz, technology director and senior in landscape architecture, said.

The club has become a place where students are able to express their passion and surround themselves with like-minded individuals.

“DubH gave me the family that I needed at Iowa State, and I don’t know how I could have done college without everyone,” Kayla Wallace, vice president and choreographer, said.

Azariah Franklin, freshman in kinesiology, believes that the the hip-hop club isn’t just about hip-hop dancing but partaking in something that brings enjoyment to an individual and doing it with others who share the same feelings.

Many members of the club have found the close bonds they were in search of when they arrived at college.

The club has given students the opportunity in the past to perform at Veishea; local schools such as Gilbert Middle School, Ames Middle School and Clear Lake High School; and pre-game shows for the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

For Malaysia Clayton, DubH choreographer, the club has helped with her transition to college and gives her something to look forward to every semester.

The dance organization coordinates dance shows for local attendees near the end of the semester. While it usually performs three shows, this semester will only feature one.

The club will take the stage for its end-of-semester performance at 7 p.m. Friday at the Ames City Auditorium.

Tickets for the event will cost $8.