Iowa State women’s track and field continues to improve

Sophomore Grace Gibbons and freshman Gwynne Wright run in the 3000 meter invite at the Iowa State Classic at Lied Recreation Center on Feb. 10. Gibbons finished with a personal record of 9:45.00 and Wright finished with a personal record of 9:43.96.

Kyle Heim

The Iowa State women’s track and field team set 14 personal bests over the weekend at the Cardinal Classic in Stanford, California, and Musco Twilight in Iowa City.

Sophomores Jasmine Staebler and Erinn Stenman-Fahey led off with outdoor personal records in the 800-meter run at the Cardinal Classic on Friday. Their team continued that momentum on Saturday, with 11 different Iowa State athletes setting personal bests at the Musco Twilight and one at the Cardinal Classic.

Sophomore Grace Gibbons, freshman Gwynne Wright, redshirt junior Bethanie Brown, sophomore Kelly Neumann and sophomore Megan Schott all improved on their previous best times in the 1,500. Gibbons led a 2, 3, 4 Iowa State finish in the event, with Wright taking third and Brown fourth.

Junior Jhoanmy Luque and senior Allanah McCorkle both recorded personal bests and top-10 all-time Iowa State marks in the 100-meter dash, finishing fourth and sixth, respectively.

The other four Iowa State athletes to record personal-best marks in Iowa City included sophomore Emma Whigham in the long jump, senior Christabel Okeke and freshman Megan Wiese in the hammer throw and freshman Bailey Righi in the javelin.

Sophomore Erinn Stenman-Fahey added another personal record in the 1,500 at the Cardinal Classic on Saturday.

The Cyclones will be back in action at the Drake Relays in Des Moines beginning Wednesday with the heptathlon.