Iowa State’s Tripp Kinney hits critical shot, pushes men’s golf to Redhawk Invitational win

Junior Nick Voke practices his putting on the team’s new putting green. The Iowa State golf team practiced on October 7th, 2015 at their new course.

Ivan Vega

The Iowa State men’s golf team finished in first place out of 15 teams in the Seattle University Redhawk Invitational in University Place, Washington on Tuesday afternoon.

The Cyclones scored a combined 853 (287-285-281) narrowly winning by one stroke ahead of No. 35 Northwestern 854 (289-284-281).

Throughout the whole competition, it was a race between Northwestern and Iowa State, as both teams were tied for first place in the beginning of the third round.

It came down to final three holes of the competition, where true freshman Tripp Kinney delivered the Cyclones their third victory of the season. Kinney shot an eagle in the final hole of competition to place the Cyclones ahead only one stroke.

“He’s only a freshman but he plays like a much older player,” assistant coach Chad Keohane said.

Kinney, an Iowa native, had his best performance in his career, shooting 209 (71-68-70) and tying for the fifth overall spot in the individual leadership board out of 93 competing players. Marking his first top-10 finish and career low in 54-holes. Along his critical eagle, he had 11 birdies over all three rounds.

“The first two round, I put all my trust on how much work I put in [at practice],” Kinney said. “Then in the third round, I came out to a rough start, but the in the final holes, I hit the critical puts.”

Senior Ruben Sondjaja shared the fifth spot with Kinney, scoring 209 (70-71-68). Over the two days of competition he had 12 birdies and stayed under two par in the last round. With this finish he now has 11 career top-10 showings, tying for seventh all time in Cyclone history.

“Personally, I knew we were going to be very close,“ said Sondjaja when asked about the threat of Northwestern throughout the competition. “But we all had our heads down and focused on just going out there and compete”.

Senior Nick Voke tied for 15th overall, shooting a 217 (73-71-73). He scored eight birdies in the three rounds, and one in the second to last hole of competition.

He like many of the others was impressed with Kinney’s winning shot, giving the freshman a lot of praise.

“His double birdie was huge,” Voke said. “Tripp has been a tremendous addition to the team, he’s probably our most improved player, no one else deserves it more than him.”

Freshman Sam Vincent tied for 24th spot, scoring 219 (73-76-70) ending the third round with four out of his six birdies.

Redshirt junior Denzel Ieremia tied for 39th spot, scoring 222 (74-75-73) delivering six birdies and one double eagle coming in the third round.

This victory, along with the Badger Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin, and National Invitational Tournament in Tucson, Arizona, marks the first time since the 1996-97 season that the Cyclones have tallied three tournament wins in a single season.