Drake Relays presents closest thing to home meet for ISU women’s track

Lani Tons/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State sophomore Jasmine Staebler runs in the distance medley relay at the Drake Relays on April 30, 2016.

Kyle Heim

With track and field outcomes as unpredictable as April weather, the Drake Relays has evolved into an iconic Iowa tradition throughout its 108 years of existence.

From “beautiful bulldog contests” to Olympic previews, the event has consistently packed the Blue Oval with fans eager to see the next record-breaking performance or even catch a glimpse of the bulldog Prudence strutting around in her blue tutu and new crown.   

But the Drake Relays means something different for the Iowa State women’s track and field team. 

It’s the closest thing to a home meet the Cyclones will witness during the 2017 outdoor season, as they will not host an event at the Bill and Karen Bergan Track at the Cyclones Sports Complex this year.  

And for many of the Iowa natives on the team — 11 listed on the roster have roots in the state — the Drake Relays brings back memories of their high school days competing as some of the top prep athletes in Iowa.

“It’s a lot of fun,” said Iowa State sophomore Grace Gibbons, who is entered in the 3,000-meter steeplechase on Saturday. “You hear the voice of Mike Jay over the loud speakers, and it’s the same voice that you heard in high school track in Iowa. It’s just a friendly voice, and you see all these people that you knew. People who have supported you for a really long time are all able to come out to the Drake Relays.”

Gibbons was a four-time Iowa high school state champion and is no stranger to Drake Stadium. 

Her teammate, Jasmine Staebler, a sophomore from Gilbert, Iowa, has been competing in the relays since she was a freshman in high school. She is scheduled to make her return to Drake in her marquee event, the 800.  

“… It’s really cool for me, especially being from Iowa, because I know the atmosphere in the stadium and the fans,” Staebler said. “It almost feels like a home meet.” 

Even sophomore distance runner Anne Frisbie, who is from River Falls, Wisconsin, looks forward to competing at the meet. 

“Last year I went to watch it, and it was a really cool atmosphere,” Frisbie said. So I’m excited for all the people cheering. It’s just a really cool track, really cool atmosphere.” 

Sophomore Emma Whigham, who is from Bettendorf, Iowa, will lead off for the Cyclones at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the heptathlon. 

Events will continue through the weekend, wrapping up with the 4×100-meter relay at 3:13 p.m. Saturday.