Spanbauer: Now is the time to address sexual assault and violence

Tyler Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump smiles and points to the crowd after he rebutted Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s comment on his supporters being “deplorable” on Sep. 13 in Clive, Iowa.

Peyton Spanbauer

For the first time maybe ever, Donald Trump did something productive in the eyes of the women’s movement. The President declared April to be Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month, as have all other presidents since 2001. I had to first check some credible sources to make sure this wasn’t some sick April Fool’s joke. 

This is somewhat confusing coming from the man who literally bragged about grabbing at women’s genitalia without consent. Nonetheless, it’s a move in the right direction from our Republican president. 

Many issues in today’s society have increased the concern of sexual assault.

The short incarceration of Brock Turner raised awareness across the country that perpetrators of rape can be, and are often, let off easy when their notoriety is unjustly taken into account. The gang rape of a young Chicago women being live streamed on Facebook created notice in how we view and react to sexual assaults.

Chris Brown, a man who despite his successful music career assaulted a woman, is still producing music and profiting off of it, has taught us that assailants can continue on with their lives as normal while victims cannot. Because our own president has been accused of and investigated for more than a dozen allegations of rape, we have increased the necessity for Sexual Assault Awareness Month. 

As students living on a college campus, raising awareness against sexual assault is so incredibly critical. We all get the occasional “timely notice of campus crime” warning us of yet another incident of sexual assault on campus. It is important to also remember that those are only the incidents taking place on campus, and the incidents reported. 

Issues surrounding rape are extremely controversial when it comes to how some universities deal with and inform others of sexual assault. According to 2016 statistics, only 9 percent of 11,000 universities reported incidents of sexual assault on campus. However hopeful 9 percent is, the reality is that is a seemingly impossible statistic. Realistically, 1 in 6 women will face attempted or actual sexual assault in their lifetimes.

Traditionally, campuses across the nation host events in order for students to take notice of what sexual assault really means to victims, and how often it actually occurs. 

Iowa State is doing its part in promoting consciousness of sexual assault with several events happening throughout the month. From the Clothesline Project to Denim Day to the Take Back the Night Rally and March on April 24, it makes me immensely proud to be a part of a campus that cares.

These events are trying to bring to light misconceptions and the truth about rape. For one, it is important to recognize that sexual assault is not limited to women alone. One in 16 men will experience attempted or actual sexual assault.

Furthermore, people don’t quite realize the cost that comes to victims of rape. Victims are vulnerable to depression, PTSD, anxiety and insomnia. This is not to mention the issues it creates in the relationships in their lives. Survivors can have troubles trusting others and feeling safe when alone. 

Yet another myth about rape is that it is committed by a stranger lurking in the dark, waiting to attack. The reality is that sexual assault is most commonly perpetrated by those close to the victim. Additionally, the idea that women put themselves at risk by going out and wearing tight or little clothing is completely incorrect. The only reason rape occurs is because of the rapist alone. It is unjust and sexist to assume that the victim is or was “asking for it.” 

A reality of sexual assault, however, is that it does more commonly occur when alcohol and/or drugs are involved. It is incredibly important and unfortunate that people have to be conscientious of those around them when they or those around them are under the influence. 

The bigger lesson at hand is that those who are under the influence need to be aware of their actions and how they may be coming off to others. People need to be aware of the boundaries of the relationships they hold. People need to take notice that the victim is not at fault for what happens to them.

Please partake in this month’s activities on campus and promote the awareness and prevention of sexual assault. This is a matter that we can and need to end, and is achievable if we all educate ourselves and take action against sexual assault and violence.