Iowa State women’s golf selected for NCAA Regionals

Then-Iowa State freshman Chayanit Wangmahaporn, or “Kanoon,” and sophomore Celia Barquin partner up during practice. 

Ivan Vega

The Iowa State women’s golf team was selected to play in the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA announced Thursday. 

The Cyclones will compete in the Lubbock Regional Site at The Rawls Course in Lubbock, Texas.

“We were a little on the edge than I would like to have been to be quite honest,” coach Christie Martens said in a press release. “I think it’s become an expectation (making NCAA Regional) and our players talk about that amongst themselves. Scheduling is also a big part of that, playing against good teams and being where we are. They definitely think about it. We are happy to be playing in the postseason.”

The Cyclones are coming off a runner-up finish at the Big 12 Championship tournament in San Antonio, Texas, where they finished seven strokes behind Texas. It was their best showing at the conference championship in program history.

The tournament will be a conducted May 8-10 to determine the championship field. A total of 384 golfers will compete in the regional competition. Of those golfers, 132 will advance to the championship.