StuGov discusses medical amnesty, honors a former cabinet member and senator

Sen. David Moore re-introduces a by-law for executive compensation reform. The bill was already approved by GSB, but due to a technicality it was not valid. The new bill attempts to improve upon language and reduce spending in March 2015.

Alli Weaver

Though many senators’ final weeks in office are drawing near, the Student Government is not taking a rest.

Among the topics of discussion during Wednesday’s meeting were an update to the medical amnesty effort, the approval of the ASSET funding contract and the allocation of requested funds to various student organizations.

Student Government President Cole Staudt announced that the effort for the medical amnesty bill continues — as it passed through the Iowa Senate last week. During the next two weeks, Staudt said they will continue to lobby at the state capitol, and a statement will be made at the state level.

Staudt is confident and hopeful for the passing of this bill.

“We got some solid yeses from some of the leaders of both parties,” Staudt said.

The bill hopes to protect underage students from legal prosecution in the case of a medical emergency.

Speaker Danielle Nygard authored a bill to approve funding for several designated charities and organizations, which was discussed and voted upon during the meeting.

Sen. Colton Kreber said ASSET requests funding for organizations that will have an impact, specifically on Iowa State students. Of more than 30 organizations, the bill’s purpose is to fund the 16 that were requested based on that requirement.

This bill passed 29-0-0.

David Moore III was honored with an official proclamation, written by Sen. Cody Woodruff, of his “outstanding dedication and excellent service to Student Government” on behalf of the Student Government.

Among several listed achievements, Moore played a very large role in planning and executing 2016’s Big XII on the Hill conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

This yearly conference — which is a gathering of Big 12 schools to join together and discuss important causes with members of the U.S. Congress — was hosted by Iowa State in 2016.

“David Moore III has been an outstanding example for all of us, all members of Student Government, as well as students here at Iowa State,” Woodruff said. “He’s done a lot to better our campus.”

This proclamation passed 29-0-0.

Moore expressed his gratitude for this proclamation during closing statements.

Other business:

• Seating Logan Maxwell as human sciences senator
  • Funding Association of Malaysian Students at ISU ($1,040)
  • Funding Swim Club ($560.34)
  • Funding GENRE ($2,010)
  • Funding African Students Association ($3,198.03)
  • Funding Equestrian Team ($300.79)
  • Resolution on accountability bylaw change
  • Funding transfer for the spring President’s Dinner event ($2,667)
  • Funding three Student Government Diversity Committee events ($424.70)