“Need to Know”- Traditions

Emily Clement

With a campus as big and old as Iowa State, there is bound to be many big traditions that have stuck around and become things that students across campus look forward to.

The Zodiac: Don’t walk across the zodiac in the north entrance of the Memorial Union. If you do, it is said that you will fail your next test, but you can reverse it by throwing a coin into the Fountain of the Four Seasons at the front of the MU.

“It almost seems, for me, like a sign of respect not to walk on it, like it’s this piece of art and you don’t walk on art,” said Carole Gieseke, vice president of communications for the Alumni Association.

Although “respect” is not necessarily the tradition, it seems to have caught on in that manner as well.

Lancelot and Elaine: Lancelot and Elaine, the swans of Iowa State, have been around since 1935 after they were revealed during the climax of Veisha of that year. The swans are housed in Lake LaVerne, which was created with a $10,000 donation in 1916, according to the Iowa State University Alumni Association website.

It is also said that if you can walk around Lake LaVerne with the person you love three times without saying anything to each other, you are destined to be together.

Cherry Pies: What was once a Veisha tradition has now become more of a tradition for the College of Human Sciences. According to the Iowa State University website, the pies are now sold during Human Sciences’ week to help raise money for scholarships for students in the College of Human Sciences. The pies have changed a little bit over the years, but they taste just as good.

Campanile/Bells: The Campanile is the icon of Iowa State University and is held in the center of Central Campus. The campanile originally had 10 bells but now has 50 bells that can be heard all through Central Campus. It is the ultimate depiction of ISU and is loved by many.

University Mace: A new tradition, the University (President’s) Mace is carried at commencement and depicts other Iowa State traditions in its structure. According to the Iowa State University Alumni Association website, the Mace depicts the Campanile and the reflecting pool with the Christian Petersen sculpture, along with the presidential seal.

Homecoming Traditions

Homecoming itself is a big tradition for Iowa State students and alumni.

“Now that there is no Veisha, it is the biggest all-campus tradition,” said Gieseke.

Campaniling/Pancakes/Fireworks: During homecoming week, people gather at the campanile to take part in campaniling which is not necessarily just a homecoming tradition. Campaniling is a tradition that says if you kiss your love at the strike of midnight while standing under the campanile, you officially become an Iowa Stater. There are also pancakes served as well as fireworks that take place on the night of homecoming.

Homecoming Parade: The Homecoming Parade made a return in 2016 for the first time since Veisha. It was originally a Veisha tradition, but it is hoped that it will become a homecoming tradition.

“There used to be a homecoming parade, and we brought it back last year, so we are kind of restarting that tradition,” said Kate Fjelstad, junior in industrial engineering and co-chair of the Homecoming Committee.

Both Fjelstad and her counter-part have worked year-round to pull off the fantastic event we call homecoming.

“[The biggest thing I’ve learned is] how much of an impact such a small number of us can have on so many people,” said Emily Costa, senior in kinesiology and biology and co-chair of the Homecoming Committee, regarding her time on the committee.