Meet and greet shows support for veterans

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

A meet and greet for Iowa State University veterans was held on March 1 in the Pride Lounge in the Memorial Union. The event was held so that students could network with faculty and staff. 

Emily Schroer

As roughly 15 students and faculty gathered into the small Col. Pride Veterans Lounge in the Memorial Union, the close quarters allowed everyone to overhear the multiple conversations going on around them.

Iowa State’s Veterans Center hosted a faculty, staff and student veteran meet and greet from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday in the lounge. 

David Vogel, professor of psychology, said he had previous experience working with Jathan Chicoine and was happy to show his support to the veteran’s community. He shows his support by attending the event every semester.

“It’s a nice environment to talk,” Vogel said. “Students don’t always just come and talk with professors, but here it’s nice to do that.”

Stacy Cordery, professor of history, said she attended the event because she wanted to learn about the different interests and needs that are important to the veterans. She also said she didn’t have much knowledge and understanding about veterans in the first place, so she was interested in learning more.

“As a historian, after interviewing veterans and reading papers, I know they can often feel like a class set apart,” Cordery said. “They do a good job reaching out.”

Logan Dunn, four-year veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard, said hosting events like the one Wednesday help raise awareness about veterans.

They veteran’s community is open to anyone looking for a place to belong.

Originally from the South, Dunn said that coming to Iowa State was just like being home. He felt that the hospitality of the veteran’s center was very welcoming and open. He said that hosting events like this one provides a great way to meet new people, network, have a good time and have great conversations.

Cordery said she believes faculty should be involved in what students are doing on campus.

“Bridges last better than walls,” Cordery said.