CALS Student Council celebrates National Ag Day with luncheon

Courtesy of CALS Student Council

Members of CALS Student Council and Smithfield Foods serve a free lunch to Iowa State students and faculty.  

Michael Heckle

More than a thousand Iowa State students and staff members lined the walls of Kildee Hall on Tuesday to receive a free lunch courtesy of The ISU College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Student Council and Special Events Committee.

The luncheon was in recognition of National Ag Day, a nationwide event put on by the Agricultural Council of America that works to spread awareness about the role of agriculture and career opportunities availble in the field.

“National Ag Day for us is mostly just a celebration,” Edan Lambert, senior in animal science and president of the CALS Student Council, said. “It’s also a way to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to agriculture and will contribute to agriculture in the future.”

Lambert said the event was a massive success. With the help of sponsor Smithfield Foods, which gave $500 to provide most of the food, the council served more than a thousand pork burgers to Iowa State students and faculty.

Grilling efforts were provided by Alpha Gamma Rho, Farm House Fraternity and Block & Bridle club. 

“This year we ordered 850 [burgers] and had to go buy 200 more,” Lambert said.

The event also provided students with the opportunity to meet with members of Smithfield. For many in the CALS field, the chance to meet with the world’s top supplier of retail pork products presents an invaluable networking opportunity. 

Lambert said that this event, and similar events that the council puts on, would not be possible without support from companies like Smithfield.

“Because [the companies] give us monetary support, we allow them to come and get their face out there [and] network with students,” Lambert said. “It’s kind of a give and take.”