ISU VP for extension and outreach accepts position at Ohio State University

Cathann Arceneaux Kress will be leaving Iowa State in May for a position at Ohio State University.

Courtesy of Iowa State University Extension and Outreach

Michael Heckle and Jake Dalbey

Cathann Arceneaux Kress, Iowa State vice president for extension and outreach, will leave Iowa State in May for a position at Ohio State University, according to an Iowa State press release.

Kress has been with Iowa State since 2011. She previously worked as senior policy analyst and program lead for Military Community and Family Policy at the U.S. Department of Defense as well as director of youth development at the National 4-H Headquarters, USDA, both in Washington, D.C.

She has also worked as assistant director for Cornell Cooperative Extension and state program leader at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

In her role as vice president, Kress worked to connect Iowans with Iowa State through programs such as 4-H/youth development and the Center for Industrial Research and Service, according to Iowa State’s Extension and Outreach website.

Leading $90 million worth of expenditures in 2016, Kress worked to create opportunities for students through collaboration between the various Iowa State colleges. Along with her work on the Iowa State campus, Kress was also tasked with creating a more connected Iowa community through initiatives and environmentally-conscious programs.

This includes work with the Rising Star Internship program, which employs students to various sectors around Iowa in a variety of roles relating to the community. It also focuses on local food sciences and production through the “Adventure Comes to You” program, bringing agricultural research to Iowa State in the form of lectures.

Along with her role in the Extension and Outreach Office, Kress is also a tenured professor in the College of Human Sciences in the School of Education.

She has also worked to educate and innovate by providing outreach programs that share information and technology with communities across Iowa.

She will begin her appointment as vice president for agricultural administration and dean of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences at Ohio State on May 1.

Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert is slated to appoint an interim vice president for extension and outreach after Kress’ departure.