Elections are over, but StuGov persists

Ryan Bretoi/Iowa State Daily

Members of the student government listen to a speaker during the student government meeting on Jan. 18 in the Memorial Union. 

Alli Weaver

With the year quickly drawing to a close and new elected officials preparing to take office next fall, the Student Government is far from taking a rest.

Wednesday’s Student Government meeting at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union, along with funding propositions and seating a new senator, will touch on establishing a Green Initiative Fund.

Sen. Sam Freestone authored a bill that, if passed by the Senate, will create a fund that will be used to enable sustainability projects around campus.

If passed, there will also be a committee appointed to oversee this fund and its effects.

Additionally, Speaker Danielle Nygard will propose a bill that, if passed, will ratify contracts between the Student Government and organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club of Story County, Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support, Ames Community Preschool and several others.

If passed, these, as well as 14 other charities and organizations, will receive funding from the Student Government in fiscal year 2018.

Student fees, paid by all students, are the source of this funding, which is allocated to organizations, both student and community, to better Iowa State campus and community life.