Leader in Iowa State outreach and extension to take position at Ohio State

Cathann Arceneaux Kress will be leaving Iowa State in May for a position at Ohio State University.

Jake Dalbey

Current Iowa State University vice president for extension and outreach Cathann Kress, has accepted a position at The Ohio State University leading agriculture administration.

Leading $90 million worth of expenditures in 2016, Kress worked to create opportunities for students through collaboration between the various Iowa State colleges. Along with her work within the Iowa State campus, Kress was also tasked with creating a more connected Iowa community through initiatives and environmentally conscious programs.

This includes work with the Rising Star Internship program which employs students to various sectors around Iowa in a variety of roles relating to the community. As well as focusing on local food sciences and production through the “Adventure Comes to You” program, bringing agricultural research to Iowa State in the form of lectures.

Along with her role in the Extension and Outreach Office, Kress is also a tenured professor within the College of Human Sciences in the School of Education.

Though her toes have been dipped in many aspects of Iowa State, her impact can be most felt when discussing agricultural improvements to the state as a whole.

Kress’s team has worked to improve the local foods on campus program, increase education on the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy as well as current Secretary and Incoming Chair, Administrative Heads Section, Board on Agriculture Assembly, Association of Public Land Grant Universities.

Kress will begin her position at Ohio Starting May 1 as the vice president for agricultural administration and dean of the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.

Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert will name an interim vice president to fill the vacancy.