Study Abroad

Dallas Ott

Imagine flying halfway across the world to a far away place, staying for five-plus months, all while receiving college credits. Studying abroad is one of the many adventures to choose at Iowa State.

Leaving what you have always known behind can be a little scary, but that shouldn’t be what is stopping someone from studying aboard.

Charlotte Porter, a junior majoring in interior design, is leaving in August to study in Rome.

“Being thrown into a new and unfamiliar place will definitely be the hardest thing I have done to date, but I know that I will come back so much more mature and just a way better person,” Porter said.

According to the Study Abroad Center, last year Iowa State University had over 1,600 students that studied abroad on programs lasting from a week to a full academic year.

Iowa State offers programs that are sponsored by the university and led by faculty and staff. There are also programs that are offered for just a specific major.

Studying abroad can be expensive, but pricing varies from program to program and city to city. Porter plans on using the money she makes during this summer to help with the expenses.

“I am lucky to have the help of my parents, which I know a lot of people do not have,” Porter said.

As long as your classes are overseas and earning academic credit, financial aid can be used to fund your experience. There are also many scholarships available, some being specifically for a major and area of study.

Iowa State offers many study abroad sessions to prepare students for their adventure.

Doing your own research before you leave to go where you will be going is also recommended for students.

Tate Brown, a senior in marketing is currently abroad in Spain.

“I researched cultural elements. I was slightly concerned before coming to Europe in general with all of the terrorism acts and threats. Luckily, Barcelona is a relatively safe place,” Brown said.

When aboard, you have the opportunity to partake in other cultures and experience things that you could never experience in the states.

Jiselle Henderkott, a senior who went to France the spring semester of 2016, explained how being abroad matured her.

“I had to immerse myself in another language, and it made me question my own language and belief-systems from my own country,” Hederkott said. “I opened up to my authentic self; however, it wasn’t always easy. I went through some hard times abroad, but I was so glad I took the risk, because even in those hard moments, I grew.

“The world is so vast and full of so many possibilities. At the same time, as humans, we are all virtually the same. We all want the same things out of life. We all want to feel like we belong, no matter where we come from geographically.”