Editorial: The role of the next Iowa State president

fall.jpg

fall.jpg

Iowa State University has a new interim president, Benjamin Allen, and the Iowa Board of Regents is starting the process of looking for a permanent successor to President Steven Leath.

This Editorial Board would like to lay out some fundamental qualifications that we believe Iowa State’s 16th president will need to possess to lead our Cyclone community. The first is a qualification that we have already discussed at length — transparency. Our next president must be forthcoming with ideas and information. Even the notion of wrongdoing or the appearance of withholding information from the staff and students can taint a presidency and hinder development.

Second, our next president must understand the significance of Iowa State’s land-grant history. The state of Iowa was the first in the nation to take advantage of the agreements laid out in the Morrill Act of 1862. Since then, Iowa State University has been a pioneering institution that provides high quality education not only to enrolled students, but to the broader state, nation and world. Through research and extension outreach, the university is able to influence public and private lives for the betterment of our communities. It is imperative that our next president fully understand the importance of Iowa State’s land-grant designation and how it guides our current and future actions.

Our next president will also have to deal with issues that are affecting colleges and universities across the nation. They must be able to tackle and effectively reduce the number of sexual assaults that occur on Iowa State’s campus. The next president will also need to improve Iowa State’s diversity and inclusion programs so that all students feel safe and welcomed on our campus. These are difficult issues that require complex solutions. Our advice is that the new president comes in with an open mind and a willingness to listen to staff and students.

Iowa State has seen record enrollment and an ambitious fundraising campaign under President Leath. The next president will need to decide how to move forward regarding both of these aspects. First, Leath’s successor will need to decide if it is in the best interest of the university to continue increasing enrollment. If the answer is yes, the president will need to find ways to increase student resources like housing and health services. Second, they will need to be a prolific fundraiser as President Leath was. Our campus and university is expanding and updating. All of this requires large sums of money from private donors. Our next president will need to be able to raise and allocate funds appropriately.

Iowa State’s next president has a challenging job ahead of them. However, it could be the most rewarding job in their life. The Cyclone community is passionate, dedicated and welcoming. Our next president must share our values, understand our challenges and carry us forward into an even brighter future. Good luck to whomever accepts this great task.