Global Gala celebrates Iowa State’s diverse student body

Iowa State student and member of the Pakistan Student Association (PSA) shows off different varieties of Pakistan’s clothing culture and dance. The Pakistan Student Association was one of many multicultural groups to exhibit dance, fashion, and culture at the Global Gala.

Talon Delaney

Students filled the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Friday night to absorb the cultures of Iowa State’s diverse body of scholars at the Global Gala celebration.

Attendees enjoyed a wide array of traditional song and dance, as well as contemporary pieces performed in observance of folk heritage.

Students got a close look at the Ghanaian art of Adinkra by customizing personal flags to tell their own unique life story.

Mariachi Los Amigos, a Mexico-inspired music group at Iowa State, led off the night. The group’s musical folk renditions warranted many mid-performance cries and applauses.

“I really liked [Peter Deveaux-Isaac’s] solo,” Jenna Rasmusson, freshman in agronomy, said in reference to the chairman of Iowa State’s Pan-Caribbean community. “It really felt like it was more personal for him.” 

Deveaux-Isaac sang an uplifting a capella piece inspired by the harsh hurricanes of his native country, the Bahamas.

The Arab Students Association conducted a unique combination of traditional line and circle dances, wowing the crowd with complicated steps and kicks.

Iowa State’s popular dance group, Motion Sickness, followed with a contemporary dance ensemble, pleasing the crowd with its fast-paced, static hip-hop choreography.

Cultural unity was a common theme throughout the night, as all groups took the stage after performing to encourage students to join their organizations, regardless of race or ethnicity.

Anupam Singh silenced the audience with his intense and intricate twin drum skills and humored the audience with his beat-boxing abilities.

“I really enjoyed performing,” Singh said. “There’s a lot that goes on between India and Pakistan, and music is something that binds the two nations. As a musician, I can get past the politics and just play.”

The Indian Students Association also took stage with an honest and harmonious mix of ancient drums and vocals, reciting pieces more than 2,000 years old. 

Iowa State’s Latin Dance Club offered a duet ensemble featuring a Salsa dance, as well as bachata, a dance form native to the Dominican Republic.

The Pakistan Student Association received roars of applause as it put on a cultural fashion show debuting traditional Pakistani clothing, followed by a multi-part dance feature.

“The whole night was great,” Megan Frisvold, a senior in global resource systems, said. “There was such a diverse slice of cultures, and it’s always fun to see different dances.”

The Bollywood Dance Club brought the evening to an end with its distinct fusion of jazz, hip-hop and traditional Bhangra dances. Its performance brought about a marvelous final applause.