Administration, medical, education experts talk about mental health

Jill Itzen/Iowa State Daily

A Mental Health Forum was held at the Memorial Union on Feb. 6. The forum was designed to raise mental health awareness and learn how Iowa State is working to provide support and education. David Vogel, Mark Rowe Barth, and Kristin Sievert served as the panelists. 

Sarah Muller

Cellphones and microphones were out during the Mental Health at Iowa State: A Conversation panel Monday night.

Any form of communication was encouraged by moderator Gary Wells, distinguished professor of psychology.

“We wanted people to be able to ask questions [about mental health] without needing to talk or be public about it,” said Nathan Pfister, senior in industrial engineering and president of the Suicide Awareness Organization.

Community members were welcomed to verbally or digitally ask questions to the panelists by texting in or requesting a microphone. Panelists included Mark Rowe-Barth, Student Wellness director; David Vogel, professor of psychology; and Kristen Sievert, psychologist at Student Counseling Services.

Pfister wanted to facilitate an open forum about Iowa State’s mental health atmosphere and services.

“We want to eliminate the disconnect between Iowa State and other students,” Pfister said. “We want to really bring the student community together to understand what’s actually happening and what can be approved upon.”

Pfister and his counterparts chose Rowe-Barth to focus on the overall wellness of the student and represent the administration side, Vogel for the educational side and Sievert for her medical expertise.

“We wanted to choose the three people for the three entities where mental health is involved,” Pfister said. “Those three choices were good to give an overview of what’s going on at Iowa State.”

He believes the university is making improvements such as the $12 increase in student health fees in order to provide more mental health professionals at Iowa State. While he sees their attempts of expansion to match the student enrollment, Pfister sees the limited space as an issue. He hopes administration takes an extra step to make mental health a priority.

“[I hope people] are more active in mental health and start talking about it,” Pfister said. “That’s the way changes are going to be made, if people make it a priority and not an option.”

More than 200 community members sat scattered around the Sun Room to open up conversation regarding mental health and the stigmas that surround it.

The conversation started with how Iowa State compares to other college campuses regarding mental health services.

“As we look around the country, this is something that many campuses have grappled with,” Rowe-Barth said. “It’s hard to keep up with the [enrollment] growth.”

He addressed the health fee increase and viewed it as “progress.” Rowe-Barth hopes his department can work with other student groups around campus to encourage the overall well-being of a student.

“It has felt like a little bit of a mix-match between the growth of the students and mental health professionals available,” Sievert said. “We are trying to find those resources that help the students where they need.”

Let’s Talk and the Crisis Text Line are programs she highlighted as growth for the university that other campuses also are trying. The panelists also mentioned different types of therapy outside their offices, including Marmalade, the therapy dog that visits campus, and the Workshop’s art projects.

Access to Student Counseling Services was addressed. Sievert explained that students can have a walk-in appointment as their first service.

“When people want mental health services, they don’t necessarily want to call and make an appointment for two weeks later,” Sievert said. “They want that service now.”

But Rowe-Barth wanted students to know there was no pressure to pursue a professional initially. He encouraged those struggling to reach out to people they are close with.

“There’s so many places on campus and people who care,” Rowe-Barth said. “Even opening that door with that person you’re comfortable with, they may not have the answers … but they will do all they can to help you.”

For those who have never experienced a mental illness, an audience member texted in asking how to respond when a friend might be having a mental health episode.

“You don’t need to have the exact words in order to comfort someone,” Sievert said. “But, understand your limits as well. Help them to get connected to what resources could benefit them.”

To approach someone who might have a mental illness, Rowe-Barth encourages using “I” statements, such as “I have noticed you’re crying a lot.”

He encouraged an open dialogue about mental health to help educate people and make people more comfortable discussing the topic.

“Culture change is not easy, but I think there is a lot we can do,” Rowe-Barth said.

For those struggling with mental health, there are multiple services available including Student Counseling Services and the Thielen Student Health Center.

“These things are not shameful,” Vogel said. “What we experience does matter.”

The Lectures Program helped National Alliance on Mental Illness on Campus and the Suicide Awareness Organization plan the event. To join one of these organizations and be a part of the conversation on mental illness, contact them on their student organization page.