Students discover opportunities at People to People Career Fair

Students gather to prepare themselves before talking to future employers at Iowa State’s People to People Career Fair. The fair took place from noon to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017, in Scheman.

Alli Weaver

Whether you’re looking to become a police officer, a hotel manager or even to apply to law school, the Scheman building was the place to find opportunities in a number of fields.

On Wednesday, Iowa State students searched for internships, jobs and other professional opportunities from about 107 companies, graduate schools and other organizations during the People to People Career Fair.

From noon until 6 p.m., students presented their accomplishments to potential employers in hopes that they would be the lucky undergraduate to be given an interview and, hopefully, a job.

One of these prospective students was Renu Suddapalli, senior in economics at Iowa State. She expressed that her nervous disposition when she entered her first career fair was quickly diminished by the very friendly and open compan ofy representatives.

Suddapalli’s outlook would guide any first-timers to avoid getting discouraged and to be OK with doing a couple of practice runs.

This go-getter attitude was mirrored by Drake Law School’s representatives.

These professionals advised and encouraged students to talk to as many employers as possible when exploring the career fairs and to be prepared with a set of questions to ask.

Employees are, in these representatives’ views, looking for well-spoken, confident and academically-driven students.

Officers from the Omaha Police Department agreed, but noted that they are also looking for students with genuine interest in the organization they are pursuing.

Students with a positive attitude, a past of good work ethic and educational prowess were sure to impress. These qualities, the employers expressed, are the reasons they return, year after year, to Iowa State University.