Student Run Business: Deadeye Barbecue Sauce

Megan Salo

For many college students, the idea of entering into the working world is years away. But for Tyler DeVos and Michael Hanstad, co-owners of Deadeye Barbecue Sauce, college was the perfect time to start their business.

Both knew early on in life that working for someone else or for a company wouldn’t work for them.

“Growing up, I hated people telling me what I had to do,” said DeVos. “As I got older, I took an interest in how businesses worked and became more satisfied knowing I could create my own fortune.”

The independence of owning a small business is also what attracted Hanstad to the idea.

“Starting my own business would allow me to set my own path of success or failure,” he said. “It might be a big risk, but with big risk usually comes big reward.”

But why barbecue sauce?

When the two met during their freshman year at Iowa State University, they found that they were both interested in starting their own business, but didn’t know what they wanted to do.

“I just knew I wanted to do something that would make money,” said Hanstad.  

That’s when DeVos remembered a recipe for barbecue sauce that his uncle had been making for his family and friends for years.

“I talked Michael into trying it and he loved it and thought we should sell it,” said DeVos. “So we did.”

John Walker, a former professor at Iowa State University, influenced DeVos and Hanstad in the decision to start Deadeye.

Walker met with the two weekly to provide advice on how to find their customers, introduce them to people in the grocery industry and guide them on an early pitch strategy.

“They really did all of the work themselves,” said Walker. “I think a lot of people don’t realize the work and commitment involved in running a business, let alone a startup venture.”

And on top of this hard work and commitment to their business, the two were also full time students juggling class, homework, social lives and part time jobs.

“There were days when we left my apartment to go sell at 6 or 7am and didn’t get back until 8:30 at night and still had homework and studying to do,” said DeVos.

But these long days all seem to be worth it, as Deadeye is now located in grocery stores across Iowa and bordering states. This business has also given them the opportunity to give back to the community.

“We’ve been fortunate enough to help raise hundreds of thousands of dollars through Deadeye for various causes that everyone on our team is passionate about,” said DeVos.

Now, 5% of every bottle sold goes to Vets4Vets, a non-profit organization dedicated to the rehabilitation of United State veterans. They’ve also donated sauce and money to St. Judes Children’s Hospitals and CC+10 foundation, which promotes awareness and provides assistance for those with mental health issues.

“Owning a business is something that isn’t for everyone, but that everyone should look into,” said Hanstad. “Because there’s no better feeling than having the ability to create jobs and give back to society.”

Walkers advice to other potential young business owners? Don’t wait until you get a degree.

“The key is to jump in and learn while doing, and both Tyler and Michael are excellent examples of this.”