Student fees for renovation of the MU will be voted upon in March elections

The sun shines on the Memorial Union after a thunderstorm Wednesday afternoon on Nov. 11, 2015. 

Alli Weaver

Students will not only have the chance to vote for Student Government candidates during March’s election, but also a referendum to increase student fees to pay for renovations and expansions to the Memorial Union.

During the lunch hour at the Memorial Union, some students find it difficult to find a table to sit at. Current plans for renovation include additional seating, as well as study space and other expansions. And after Wednesday night’s Student Government meeting, students will have the chance to vote on whether they will fund those renovations and expansion.

The Student Government discussed the student fees that will be implemented to fund the expansion and improvement of the Memorial Union. They unanimously passed the referendum, giving students the opportunity to vote on the fee during the Student Government elections in March, as the fee will affect future Iowa State students, indefinitely.

Senators discussed the exact fees with administration, as well as the increases per semester. The referendum states that the fee would go up by $72 per semester and would be phased in over two years.

“It’s going to affect people for the unforeseeable future. I think students should understand the magnitude of what they’re voting for,” Sen. Jonathan Kirner said.

The referendum comes after months of deliberation on the Memorial Union Feasibility Study.

Corey Williamson, interim director of the Memorial Union, urges students to keep in mind that the referendum is intended to improve the student experiences at Iowa State. It is an obligation to maintain these services and facilities, as it is a community project, he said.

The Memorial Union was initially a student initiative, conceived and paid for by students, Williamson said. It officially opened its doors in 1928.

“After 89 years, it needs improvements,” Williamson said.