BIEDAW kicks off with ‘Honor Your Hunger’

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

Junior Jade Gibson and senior Megan Tisue hand out fruits and granola bars at the Honor Your Hunger event in Lebaron Hall on Feb. 27. The event is run by Body Image and Eating Disorder Awareness to promote positive body image.

Emily Hammer

The beginning of Body Image and Eating Disorder Awareness Week, BIEDAW, took place in the lobby of LeBaron Hall early Monday morning, with the BIEDA club handing out small treats from local businesses at an event titled “Honor Your Hunger.”

Cassidy Boe, co-president of BIEDA, said the event is in the name to remind people “basically to honor your hunger.”

“We encourage mindful eating, so if you’re hungry, have a snack,” Boe said. “Don’t be afraid to eat a treat.”

The club went around to local businesses that sell baked goods and told them their mission, Boe said. Many were excited to help and sponsor the event.

Some snacks at their table included bananas, muffins, apples and Kind bars. Insomnia cookies came later.

Overall, BIEDAW focuses on promoting body positivity and spreading awareness. Although BIEDAW is local to Iowa State, it is done in conjunction with National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

Megan O’Donnell, a member of BIEDA, hopes that this week will open students’ eyes to the reality of body positivity.

“There is more to body positivity than just working out and eating,” she said. “It’s about being mindful and happy with yourself.”

She wants to get across to everyone on campus that “you only have one body, and you have to treat it well, and you have to be positive.”

Boe and O’Donnell agreed that busy students who still want to participate in BIEDAW should attend the “Embrace” documentary showing at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Marston 2155.

O’Donnell recommends students suffering from eating disorders or poor body image to visit Student Counseling Services or the new Student Wellness Center for guidance.