Chavez-Hanscel enter bid for StuGov president, vice president as write-ins

Anthony Chavez (right) and Emeline Hanscel (left) enter their bid as 2017 Student Government president and vice president, respectively.

Alex Connor

Write-in Student Government presidential candidates Anthony Chavez and Emeline Hanscel are driven by difference – a platform the two hope to campaign on to celebrate the diverse voices of Iowa State.

Launching their campaign website, Facebook and Twitter over the weekend, Chavez and Hanscel decided to run for president and vice president, respectively, after the Student Government meeting Wednesday night.

Chavez spoke at the meeting, where Student Government inevitably passed a resolution declaring support for students regardless of documentation, but the bill originally proposed that Iowa State declare itself a sanctuary campus.

As a second-generation immigrant, Chavez said he felt more attention should be put on resources to help undocumented citizens become citizens, rather than the aforementioned “sanctuary campus.”

“We can do better,” Chavez said at the meeting.

After Student Government on Wednesday, Chavez said he and those involved with his campaign got together and started talking about it and looked at the other candidates and their platforms.

“We realized that we weren’t going to vote for them,” Chavez said. Hence, the Chavez-Hanscel campaign was born.

Chavez is a junior in political science and Hanscel is a sophomore in accounting. The two, should they get elected, hope to tackle topics under their administration that would focus on tuition, transparency and sexual violence awareness.

“As conservative representatives, we want to decrease spending across the board, be transparent in our actions and rebuild a trust in government with the student body,” their website reads.

Chavez and Hanscel are both actively involved in ISU College Republicans and hope to make sure that underrepresented campus groups are both better heard and supported.

“We’re not here for us. We can have our views on what we’re connected to, but we want to make sure that we’re running [for] the student body; what they want,” Hanscel said.

Chavez and Hanscel also hope to find and help implement a Veishea replacement. According to their website, they hope to “work with administration to build a springtime event that still showcases the excellence and success they have here on campus.”

A way they hope to do this is through bringing in investors and grants.

While Chavez and Hanscel have never participated in Student Government, the two have held leadership roles in other clubs and organizations at Iowa State – Chavez as current ISU College Republicans secretary and Hanscel the current treasurer. She also served as the vice president of ISU Students for Trump.

But Chavez and Hanscel see this as a benefit to them, as they feel they can add a different and outside perspective to Student Government.

“What makes a community as large as Iowa State great is the ability for these diverse communities to come together to solve problems and work out issues and have conversations,” Chavez said.

Chavez and Hanscel also hope to build a healthier relationship with administration and Iowa legislators.

“We need to rebuild these relationships in order to do more for our student body and with our conservative values we believe that we will we be able to garner support from our state, for Iowa State,” according to their website.

Something Hanscel and Chavez also feel separates them from the other candidates is their focus on military outreach.

“We want to make sure we get out to students attached to the military, that have family in the military to know that we’re here for them and we’re willing to do whatever we need to make sure they feel OK here and safe here,” Hanscel said.

For more information on the Chavez-Hanscel platform, visit their website at chavezhanscel.info or Facebook at Write In Chavez Hanscel.