HNI CEO discusses success, life lessons in lecture

Stan Askren, chairman, president and CEO of HNI Corporation shares his business advice with students on Jan. 31 at the Gerdin Business Building.

Emily Hammer

While professors can offer valuable insight to students, professionals might provide deeper perspectives unavailable in a classroom setting. 

Stan Askren, chairman, president and CEO of HNI Corporation, did just that Tuesday afternoon.

Rather than just focusing on his career, however, Askren discussed the lessons he has learned throughout his life and how they shaped him by answering the audience’s questions.

Starting in college, Askren wasn’t sure what he was going to do. He knew he would be in a business sort of setting because of his personal profile and interests, but he changed his majors four or five times before graduating.

“My vision up until my senior year was I was going to get a degree in business and go be a corporate lawyer,” Askren said. “Nobody gave me any advice.”

It wasn’t until an industrial psychologist told Askren he would not do well in law school and it would drive him crazy that Askren began to re-evaluate.

Although he described himself as of “average intelligence,” Askren said he was able to get where he is now because he had enough intelligence to outwork everyone and truly engage.

But he doesn’t believe everyone should work to be where he is. Instead, he told the audience they should focus on being outstanding in life.

“If you want more in your life and your career, make yourself worth more,” Askren said. “I do think you should aspire to make an impact on this world.”

This is the legacy Askren wants to leave. He hopes people will think of him as a man of integrity, finishing strong and engaged.

He told students they should strive to have a purpose, make a difference and live without regret

“Don’t do anything that you’re sorry you did,” Askren said. “Whatever you do, do it to make a difference and do it with a passion.”

Askren also admitted that he has had numerous failures, so many that he can’t pick out the biggest one. But this doesn’t deter him, as he believes that failing keeps him in the game.

“There still is a direct correlation between risk and reward,” Askren said. “If you’re not taking a risk, you’re not going to get a reward.”

After graduating college and getting married, Askren and his wife originally decided they would never live in Iowa again.

After living in St. Louis, Kansas City and Orlando, Askren received a job offer in Paris and was ready to move his family to France until he had breakfast with an HNI higher-up.

This fateful breakfast brought Askren and his family back to Muscatine, as he found that HNI’s culture aligned with his and he would be working for somebody who he respected, trusted and liked.

His advice to students when picking a job was to “Make sure you know what’s true. Make sure you pick what’s important.”

Brenna Johnson, sophomore in marketing and supply chain management, found the lecture interesting.

“I thought it was inspirational,” Johnson said. “He went and really achieved it and reached his goal.”

Askren’s full lecture can be viewed here.