Geoffroy Hall officially opens after ribbon-cutting ceremony

President Steven Leath and President Emeritus Gregory Geoffroy cut the ribbon at the grand opening of Geoffroy Residence Hall Jan. 18, 2017. 

Michael Heckle

The heavy morning fog didn’t stop nearly 100 people from filling the ground floor activities room of Gregory L. Geoffroy Hall during Wednesday’s official grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony for Iowa State’s newest residence hall.

Attendees sipped complimentary coffee as they mingled with the likes of Iowa State University President Steven Leath and President Emeritus Gregory Geoffroy before the event started promptly at 9 a.m. 

Speaker after speaker, it became clear just how important Geoffroy Hall is to the administrators and students who helped it become a reality.

In Geoffroy’s honor

Named after Iowa State’s 14th president, this new residence hall honors all that Geoffroy accomplished for Iowa State, who, according to Leath, “launched an era of change and growth at Iowa State.”

Through setting new records at the time for enrollment, sponsored funding and fundraising, Geoffroy helped lead Iowa State through a rollercoaster of events during his more than 10 years as president.   

“He skillfully navigated the university through the turbulent aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, deep budget cuts and a great recession,” Leath said. “He did that while successfully launching really special initiatives that are really part of our culture today.”

Pete Englin, director of the Department of Residence, opened the ceremony by describing the residence hall as a way to recognize the historic contributions of not only Geoffroy, but all those involved in constructing the new hall as well, including Leath.

“[Leath] cares deeply about the success of each and every Iowa Stater,” Englin said. “His stewardship on initiation and advocating for this building, and the naming of it for President Geoffery, made the entire process tremendously rewarding.”

Geoffroy said he was honored to be associated with a new opportunity for students. As a president whose focus was to “strengthen the culture of students first,” the student input that went into developing the hall makes it a building that truly shares his namesake.

“It means so much to me to have my name on a residence hall because of the importance of students to the university and to the success of the university and the fun that I had when I was here as president interacting with students,” Geoffroy said.

“By Students, For Students”

Probably the most unique aspect of Geoffroy Hall is its adherence to student input. Since its inception, Geoffroy Hall has been geared toward the wants and needs of students. Before a single brick was laid, administrators reached out to student leadership to understand exactly what Iowa Staters are looking for. 

Joking that he and his wife had considered moving across the street from the Knoll into the new residence hall, Leath cited the modern flavor and spacious layout as things that incoming students will look forward to. 

“Our demand for the dorms was outpacing our capacity in the dorms,” Leath said. “We felt that there was a need to expand. I think this beautiful new building is going to be one of the most popular residence halls on campus.”

The residence hall features spacious study rooms, full kitchens, large activity rooms and bathrooms with individual toilet and shower facilities. It includes four elevators and front porches on every floor, providing students with a vivid vantage point into Central Campus. 

Geoffery Hall marks the first traditional style residence hall that the university has built in years, Leath said. The hope is to offer students more affordable on-campus housing, featuring amenities and floor plans influenced by student input. Its proximity to campus also acts as incentive for potential residents.

“For me, Geoffroy Hall is the embodiment of what the student voice can do at Iowa State,” Student Body President Cole Staudt said. “The Department of Residence has done an outstanding job listening to students over the years, which has created a first-class living environment that students want to be a part of.”

The ceremony concluded with a ribbon cutting, where Leath and Geoffroy shared the honor. Students have been moving into Geoffroy Hall since the end of the 2016 fall semester, though administrators hope to fill all of its 784 new beds come the 2017 fall semester.