Black Student Alliance welcomes new students with bowling event

ISD

ISD

Nik Heftman

Iowa State’s Black Student Alliance (BSA) will host Back to School Bowling at the Memorial Union Bowling Alley from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Bowling will cost $5. 

“[The event] will be a good time to get acquainted with new members,” said Julian Neely, vice president of BSA. “It will also be a time for current members to reflect on last semester.” 

BSA is a student organization dedicated to uplifting and empowering students of African decent through academic, professional, cultural and social programs. 

Our mission statement states that we are the voice of the black students at Iowa State,” said Neely, who’s also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and a community adviser for Freeman Residence Hall. “We also hold community service events.” 

Iowa State’s Student Government collaborated with BSA last November to host A Conversation on Safety, Justice and Students of Color, and event that facilitated a discussion on racial unrest, stigmas toward the police and other social issues. 

“If there is an occurrence on campus, BSA will go out and provide due service,” Neely said. “If something goes wrong, we confront the issue. 

Anyone is welcome to join BSA. Neely said the organization will be expecting a good turnout for its events. 

We averaged about 60 [to] 70 people coming to our general assembly meetings,” Neely said. “We hope that a lot of people will come out since it’s the first event of the semester.” 

BSA will also have its first general assembly meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in Carver 204. It will be hosted every other Thursday for the rest of the semester. 

You can expect [discussion] on fun topics, controversial topics, topics on self-love and a lot of different things,” Neely said. “The meetings are an opportunity to build a strong community within the back population on campus.”

BSA will release a newsletter showing all of its events for the semester. Follow @BSAIowaState for updates on what’s to come for BSA.