Letter: What difference does it make?

I was recently in a political science class when the teacher opened up class discussion on the Muslim ban President Trump implemented.

When the professor said “discussion” I didn’t realize he meant for conservative students to test their knowledge against the teacher whose job is to know the specifics on the topic. Being one of the conservative students who stood up for what I believed in, I was targeted by other students, one after another, with the repetitive narrative that I am a racist and bigot after I supported Trump.

I can only imagine the scene a liberal student would make if they underwent the same scrutiny. This conversation quickly spiraled into many different topics including terrorism and the Benghazi attack.

My professor, the one who I pay thousands of dollars to educate me, filled my head with absurd ideas. The most shocking was that mowing down over 130 people in a truck is no different than 130 people dying in accidental deaths, supporting his claim with, “What difference does it make how they die?”

I’d like to think that getting in a car accident is different than walking with your child while celebrating the French Independence Day and having their life ended at the hands of terrorism.

He continued to mock a student who brought up the four lives lost in Benghazi. My professor supported himself by saying they could’ve just as easily hit a deer driving down the road and killed themselves.

No, professor, these men were fighting for you. Thanks to them, you can teach in a safe classroom every day without worrying about being kidnapped and beheaded in a public square.

What difference does it make? Ask their families.