Iowa State reaches 400-bench mark

Michaela Ramm

Iowa State has reached a bench mark this month, thanks to new benches on campus.

With enrollment growing every year, congestion in campus buildings became a bigger problem; it was common for students to be seen sitting on the floor before or in-between classes.

Beginning in November, Campus Services sought to alleviate this issue by installing 400 benches throughout 24 buildings on campus.

The project has come to fruition this month, with the last of the 400 benches installed this month in Lagomarcino, Forker and McKay halls. These buildings were targets for their high student volume, according to Inside Iowa State.

Almost 200 benches were already installed in December in Coover, Hoover, Howe, Carver, Gilman, Lagomarcino, Pearson and Physics halls.

The benches were made by the Iowa Prison Industries, according to Inside Iowa State. Many were also made by cypress wood recycled from old patio fencing at University Village apartments.

Other benches, however, are still slated to arrive and be installed on campus. Thirteen benches made from a scarlet oak tree that was southeast of the Campanile will be installed in Beardshear and 10 more benches will be added to Parks Library, Curtiss Hall and the Iowa State University Foundation after they are stained to match their surroundings.