This week in news

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks during a “Canvass Launch” event in the Memorial Union on Jan 31, a day before the first caucus of the presidential race. Sanders spoke to a crowd of supporters and volunteers about healthcare, college debt, and global warming.    

Alex Hanson

Miss the news this week? Read our recap of the biggest stories below, then test your knowledge with our news quiz here.

Sanders: Clinton “not qualified” to be president

The Democratic race for president is starting to sound like the Republican race for president, as Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton started to trade jabs accusing each other of not being fit to be president.

While Clinton has not specifically said Sanders is not qualified, she told MSNBC, “I think he hadn’t done his homework and he’d been talking for more than a year about doing things that he obviously hadn’t really studied or understood, and that does raise a lot of questions.”

Sanders said after reading a Washington Post headline titled “Clinton questions whether Sanders is qualified to be president,” he decided to respond, in which he questioned whether she was “qualified.”

“They’re going to question my qualifications, well I’m going to question theirs,” Sanders said.

In a lengthy press release Wednesday night, Sanders said Clinton is not qualified because of a list of items, including taking special interest money thorough a Super PAC, voting for the Iraq War and voting for “disastrous” trade agreements.

Clinton also shot back about the feasibility of the ideas Sanders is proposing.

“Really what that goes to is for voters to ask themselves can he deliver what he’s talking about,” Clinton said.

Iowa State sees a decline in crime in 2015

A report from the Board of Regents released this week showed Iowa State is trending toward a decrease in crime on campus.

There were 1,879 offenses at Iowa State in 2015, compared to 2,042 offenses in 2014, the report stated. Out of those offenses, there were 1,011 charges in 2015, 264 less than 2014. Out of the 1,011 charges, 792 ended in arrests, according to the report.

Alcohol violations made up a large number of the crimes committed. Out of the 566 alcohol violations from ISU Police, 362 were ISU students, or 64 percent. That was higher than at the University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa, where the percentages were 36 and 47, respectively. 

While Iowa State ranks highest in terms of student population, a significantly higher number of charges released to alcohol were reported at Iowa State compared to the two other state schools, the regents documents showed.

The University of Iowa had a similar decrease in crimes reported and arrests, while the University of Northern Iowa had a slight increase.

Faculty Senate approves mandatory course for international students

Along with presentations from Reginald Stewart, vice president for diversity and inclusion, and Jim Kurtenbach, vice president for information technology, Iowa State’s Faculty Senate approved a mandatory course for international undergraduate students.

The one-credit, 16-week course was approved as an experimental course in the fall of 2015, but now will be required for all incoming international students as University Studies 110x.

The course will include a weekly lecture section and weekly meetings with smaller recitation groups.

Villanova wins NCAA tournament on last-second shot

The No. 2 seed Villanova Wildcats were able to walk away as NCAA March Madness champions on a last-second 3 against North Carolina.

It was all tied with just under five seconds on Monday night. Wildcats senior Ryan Arcidiacono rushed up court, passed to Kris Jenkins, who went for one final shot.

The 3 was good, and the season was over for the Tarheels. 

“It is still surreal,” said Villanova Coach Jay Wright. 

It was the first buzzer-beater to win an NCAA men’s national title since North Carolina State’s dunk in 1983, The New York Times’ sports section reported.

ISU students show off environmentally friendly project at Eco Fair

ISU students had the chance to show off projects that are environmentally friendly during the city of Ames’ annual Eco Fair this past weekend.

Team PrISUm attended the fair to show off one of the group’s solar cars, which took first place at the Formula Sun Grand Prix in the summer of 2015.

“We think this is going to be the future of cars,” Klima said.

The fair also provided community members with information about water conservation, reducing electric consumption, Energy Star appliances, low-impact landscaping, sustainable practices and conservation rebates.