Underclassmen ready to take on NCAA gymnastics regional

Sophomore Haylee Young celebrates the Cyclones’ narrow 196.025-196.0 victory over the Hawkeyes with freshman Meaghan Sievers March 4. 

Mary Rominger

The ISU gymnastics team is known for its exceptional young roster, and the trend has no intention of stopping.

Two of the seven ISU qualifiers for the 2016 NCAA gymnastics’ regional are freshmen and will represent Iowa State in the all-arounds, the vault and balance beam. The other five competitors consist of four sophomores and one senior.

The ISU gymnasts will hit the road for the regional competition, which will start at 2 p.m. Saturday at the University of Minnesota.

The Cyclones will send nearly half of their team to the competition, although coach Jay Ronayne wasn’t as pleased with the number of competitors. The goal throughout the season was to have to entire team qualify.

“We expected the whole team to be there,” Ronayne said. “Once we completed Big 12 Championships we knew we missed the mark. We knew going into our final meet about what we had to score.”

The NCAA announced the qualifiers Monday.

The two individuals who will represent Iowa State in the all-arounds are sophomore Haylee Young and freshman Meaghan Sievers. Sievers will head into regionals as a rookie, but this will be Young’s second year competing in all-arounds at regionals.

“I feel like Meaghan’s been a really strong all-around competitor this season,” Young said. “So as long as she keeps it up I think she will do great at regionals and continue to improve.”

Freshman Sydney Converse and sophomore Briana Ledesma will compete on the vault, with senior Sara Townsend as an alternate. Converse and Ledesma both have career-high scores of 9.825 on the vault.

“Coming into regionals as an individual rather than with my team is a little difficult because obviously we all wanted to come as a team,” Converse said. “Since it’s individual, I’m just going to go out there and do my best and just see where it takes me.”

Sophomore Hilary Green will make her appearance on the uneven bars. She has a career-high 9.900 score.

Senior Alex Marasco and Converse will represent Iowa State on the balance beam. Marasco is the only upperclassman of the seven qualifiers heading to regionals. Marasco had a career-high 9.900 score on the balance beam, while Converse is close behind with a 9.850 score.

Sophomore Kelsey Paz and Ledesma will perform floor routines, with sophomore Courtney Middelkoop traveling as an alternate. Ledesma has a career-high 9.900 score on the floor and Paz has a career-high 9.850 score.

“I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, Ledesma said. “If I stick to what I know then I will keep building and progressing because I’ve already built a foundation. I think to change it at this point would send me backward.”

With all but one of the ISU qualifiers being underclassmen, the freshmen and sophomores have consistently proven to be the biggest part of the program’s success thus far.

“I look at it like the future is with them,” Ronayne said. “We’re going to be a lot stronger next year just because of that.”

Regionals marks the last stop for the gymnastics team until it will compete at the NCAA Championships in Fort Worth, Texas, in mid-April.