Young gymnastics roster presents bright future

Freshmen Sydney Converse and Meaghan Sievers celebrate the Cyclones’ narrow 196.025-196.0 victory over the Hawkeyes March 4. 

Mary Rominger

The ISU gymnastics roster next season is projected to be savvier than ever. A team that currently flies under the national radar will be a team to watch with its prominent infusion of young talent and prosperity.

Freshman Meaghan Sievers, who recently qualified for the national championship, sophomore Haylee Young and a handful more underclassmen have led the team through the entire season with record-breaking performances.

The roster has four seniors graduating this season, and there will be no senior class next season. The team will include six juniors, five sophomores and any incoming recruits.

The roster will be peculiar, but in the most favorable of ways. A blossoming team will add numerous elements to the gymnastics team’s future, goals and accomplishments.

Stars developed

With a year of regular season and postseason competition under their belts, the gymnastic rookies know exactly what it takes to thrive at the collegiate level. Big names such as Sievers and Sydney Converse led the team in every tier.

“We’ve only got to know [the freshman class] for a short amount of time,” said coach Jay Ronayne. “So now we have a lot of basis for next year.”

The picture is similar with sophomores Young, Kelsey Paz, Briana Ledesma and Hilary Green, who all frequently reached season and career-highs. Next season, they will be the veterans on the roster.

“With the sophomores, we know that they now understand what it takes,” Ronayne said.

The timing for these two exceptional classes are coming together at the perfect time for the coaching staff’s overall scheme.

“As a coaching staff, we have been excited about next year’s team for a long time,” Ronayne said. “There is a whole new dynamic with the group next year.”

Omnipresent leadership

The elders and leaders for next year’s team will be the current sophomores and impending juniors. Despite the norm, soon-to-be sophomores will also have a heavy role in leading the team.

“The upcoming junior class will be the leaders, but everyone is going to have to be a leader next year, including the gymnasts that were here just one year,” Ronayne said.

The balanced roles will, at best, work in the Cyclones’ favor behind the scenes and in competition.

Chemistry

The debut of next season’s recruits will mark the start of three complete classes competing together for two years.

In this time, the team has potential to build a tremendous amount of chemistry.

Gymnastics, at the end of the day, is more individual in competition, but the Cyclones will have an edge against their opponents because of their well-established bond.

This past season, a key element in Iowa State’s gameplan in each meet was to focus only on its own performance and not let competition anywhere near its sight of vision. That’s why it will be a benefit having much of the team’s leadership return next season.

Awaiting success

The gymnastics coaching staff and gymnasts had expectations to achieve their goals of finishing the regular season ranked in the top 13 and bringing the entire team to postseason competition.

However, even though they didn’t reach their goals, their goals are now statistically far more attainable.

“It comes down to what they want, and I know they really, really want to do big things next year,” Ronayne said. “They’ve told me they are willing to do whatever it takes, so we will see if their walking is the same as their talking now.