Memorial Union housing opens Thursday morning

Due to demand for more summer housing, the Hotel Memorial Union is offering approximately 70 spaces for students. Rooms range from single to triple, and come with air conditioning, wi-fi and a bathroom. 

Michaela Ramm

The Department of Residence at Iowa State has opened the former hotel in the Memorial Union as student housing for the 2016-17 academic year.

Contracts for rooms in the MU will open Thursday, at 6 a.m. for returning students who wish to live in the Memorial Union next year.

Single, double and triple rooms will be offered on the fourth, fifth and sixth floors of the Memorial Union. The cost is $7,637 for a single, $5,875 for a double and $5,299 for a triple.

The residence will house about 70 students, according to the Department of Residence’s website, which includes a Community Advisor.

Rooms are only available to returning students who currently have a contract with the Department of Residence. Contracts can be signed on AccessPlus.

The rooms are fully furnished, that includes air-conditioning, access to wifi and a full bathroom attached to each individual room. A shared laundry room will also be available.

The bathrooms will include a tub/shower combo, a sink and vanity, the Department of Residence website said.

No meal plan is required for those who live in the Memorial Union, the site also stated.