Team PrISUm is Australia bound

Members of ISU Team PrISUm recharge their solar powered race car Phaeton after the first day of competition at the Formula Sun Grand Prix in Austin, Texas last week. 

Courtesy of PrISUm

Members of ISU Team PrISUm recharge their solar powered race car “Phaeton” after the first day of competition at the Formula Sun Grand Prix in Austin, Texas last week. 

Andria Homewood

Gathered around a pod of computers in Old Sweeney, the Solar Car team at Iowa State, also known as Team PrISUm works frivolously on their various tasks for their next solar car.

Since the birth of Team PrISUm in 1989, they have wanted to travel to the international solar car racing at the World Solar Challenge in Australia. This year, they got their chance, deciding to travel to the country down under during the fall 2017 semester.

“I’ve always wanted to do cool, big things that really make a statement,” said Matt Goode, the project director for Team PrISUm and a senior in mechanical engineering. “And what’s bigger than going halfway across the world and racing a car you built there”

The team is currently laying the foundation to make their journey to Australia. Along with raising three-quarters of a million dollars, they are about ready to build the car they will use in the race.

“We want to build the most innovative car in the world” Goode said. “We’re building a four-seat car. It’s going to have cup holders, wireless charging for cell phones… a rear hatch to put skis and snowboards into. It’s going to be a regular vehicle.”

The competition is a week long race that starts at the north coast of the country and ends on the south coast. The team driving the car needs to bring everything they need to survive a week including replacement car parts, food, first aid kits, and all of their personal belongings.

“The normal race day starts at 8:00, you hop in your car, you drive until 5:00, and then they draw a line in the asphalt, and you have to camp next to your vehicle in the middle of the outback” Goode said.

The team will ship their fully completed car down to Australia in the beginning of September 2017. The team, made up of 20 people including student leadership, media, advisors and workers, will be flying down to Australia on Sept. 24, 2017 to spend a month testing their car on the countries terrain before the race starts in October.

The team is currently ranked fourth in the world, tied with Germany, according to the International Solacer Federation, and they are excited to show what Iowa State can accomplish.

“[We] not only want to show and build an innovative car, but show what can be done at Iowa State” said Jace Hegg, outreach director for Team PrISUm and a senior in aerospace engineering.

Goode stated that the team is currently planning a tour where they will unveil their new car to the Iowa State campus, where all students, alumni and faculty can see the engineering talent that Iowa State has.

After that unveiling, they will go on a tour to all 99 counties in Iowa, presenting to elementary, middle and high schools all over the state presenting about STEM education and renewable transportation.