Editorial: Use your voice on Be Heard Day

Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

High School students and their advisor, Gary Lindsey from John F. Kennedy High School in Cedar Rapids recite the First Amendment on the steps of Beardshear Hall after completing the First Amendment Day Freedom March on Thursday, April 7. Students from three different high schools came to Iowa State yesterday to celebrate First Amendment Day. Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

An election year is an excellent reminder of the evolution of our country and represents a sort of new hope and a new direction. The year 2016 began, and it was apparent from the get-go that this election cycle would be nontraditional. That has served to be true.

Whether people are “Feeling the Bern” or wanting to “Make America Great Again,” the opinions have been plentiful and conflicted. Every day, either from the candidates themselves or their supporters, we hear all the reasons why this candidate or that candidate should be elected. In the age of social media, there is no shortage of voices. While some opinions are favored by some more than others, it is easy to lose sight of the beauty behind each opinion: we are allowed to have them.

Being bombarded with opinions and thoughts all day, every day can make it easy to forget that there was a time when we weren’t allowed the same liberties and freedoms we are today. We weren’t always able to openly express our views on what our country should be. However, some brave souls ignored what the social norms were. They fought for equality, women’s right to vote and for love to be legally recognized for all sexual orientations.

Monday is National Be Heard Day, and it is a day we should be thankful for as well as use to our advantage.

It’s easy to be blindsided by opinions that differ from your own, but today, everyone should recognize how great it is that we are allowed to have opinions rather than get upset at one another for having them.

Today is the day people who want to effect positive change should make their initiatives more public than ever in remembrance of those who fought to make our country what it is.

The United States started from the bottom and worked its way up to the point of being able to give people rights and freedom to continuously move this country forward. This was made possible by sharing stories and learning to accept one another no matter their political views, denomination, sexual orientation, race or religion.

As a news organization, The Daily has a unique opportunity to see and report on all the different kinds of people who make the United States a wonderfully diverse place to live, learn and grow. This is why The Daily is spearheading a Voices campaign to highlight all the different stories and experiences that make up Iowa State’s campus.

If you or anyone you know has a story that should be told, contact Editor In Chief Danielle Ferguson at [email protected] and make your voice heard.