College of Human Sciences Dean finalists to visit campus

Alex Hanson

Three finalists have been selected in the search for the next dean of the College of Human Sciences.

A committee has been searching for finalists to replace Dean Pam White, who in September announced her retirement plans for next summer.

The finalists will visit campus for two days for meetings with faculty, staff, students, campus leaders and external stakeholders.

Laura Jolly, currently a professor of textiles, merchandising and interiors at the University of Georgia, Athens is the second candidate for the position.

Jolly will visit campus on March 29 and 30, and will hold an open forum Tuesday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in 0210 Bessey.

Since arriving at the University of Georgia in 2007, Jolly has served as dean and associate director of cooperative extension and experiment station in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences from 2007 to 2010, and as vice president for instruction from 2010-2015.

She was also previously a professor in the retail, hospitality and tourism management department at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville; and chair of the interior design, merchandising and textiles department at the University of Kentucky, Lexington.

Jolly earned a bachelor’s degree in vocational home economics education from the University of Mississippi, Oxford, and master’s and doctoral degrees in clothing, textiles and merchandising from Oklahoma State.

Cheryl Hanley-Maxwell, currently associate dean at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Education, was the first finalist, and visited campus March 21-22. 

The final candidate, information on the finalist and interview itineraries and résumés, will be posted for on the provost’s office website next Thursday.

Along with meetings on campus, the candidates are holding open forums, which will be recorded and made available at the conclusion of the interview process for those unable to attend in person. 

The finalists were selected in interviews with the search committee and Jonathan Wickert, senior vice president and provost,on Feb. 27 and 28.

“Serving as dean of the College of Human Sciences is a tremendous opportunity, and there is a lot of interest in the position,” Wickert said. “The search committee did a great job in identifying the three finalists, and I am excited for our students, faculty, staff and community to meet with the finalists during their visits to Ames.”

The search committee is co-chaired by Cathann Kress, vice president of Extension and Outreach, and Wendy Wintersteen, dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.