StuGov to review bill regarding events impacting Department of Residence ***print only***

Jacob Smith /Iowa State Daily

Sen. Ian Searles speaks during an open forum at the Oct. 30 Student Government meeting. Students came to talk about recent controversial events on campus and to address President Wendy Wintersteen.

Jacob Smith

Student Government will be reviewing a bill Wednesday night which addresses recent controversial events on campus over the years.

The bill titled “Censuring The Department of Residence” will be introduced by Senator Ian Searles for himself, Senator Ludwig, Senator Hanyang, Senator Zastrow, Senator Klein, Senator Sumael, Senator Greene, Senator Klaes, Speaker Culbertson, Vice-Speaker Schrader and Director of Diversity and Inclusion Hoffman, according to the document.

This censuring comes after Bean house in Geoffroy Hall was defaced multiple times with a racial slur,pictures surfaced of Student Government Adviser Alex Krumm with his face painted black previously posted on his Instagram and students protested the events by blocking off Lincoln Way, demanding to talk to President Wendy Wintersteen.

“Racism has no place or protection on campus as it violates the University’s Principles of Community, and […] There have been high profile events in recent years that have highlighted the systemic failure of the Department of Residence within the University to respond to incidents of harassment of protected classes,” according to the document.

The bill cites events dating back as far as 2016 and gives recommendations on how the university should address incidents.

One resolution is to enforce a campus-wide policy of a 48 hour response time on all events to the parties affected whether or not the solution is clear.

Additionally, “all impacted parties be kept up to date on the status of the case within FERPA confines, and who exactly they can contact for support and or information pertaining to the case,” according to the document.

The bill will be looked at and voted on by the Senate at the meeting. 

If passed, the resolution will be sent to Director of Residence Dr. Pete Englin, all members of the Residence Life Leadership Team, Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Martino Harmon, Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion Dr. Reginald Stewart, Dean of Students Dr. Vernon Hurte, and President of the University Dr. Wendy Wintersteen.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.