This week in news: Trump, Sanders win New Hampshire

Alex Hanson

Miss the news this week? Read our recap of the biggest stories below, then test your knowledge with our news quiz here.

Trump, Sanders victorious in New Hampshire

Just over a week after Iowa was first to vote, New Hampshire had the attention in the political world this week. 

Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Bernie Sanders easily won the New Hampshire primary Tuesday — both by huge margins.

Trump got 35.3 percent of support, while Ohio Gov. John Kasich, his cloest competitor, came in at 15.8 percent. Iowa Caucus winner Ted Cruz was third at 11.7 percent, and Jeb Bush was fourth at 11 percent.

Marco Rubio, who had an impressive finish in Iowa, got 10.6 percent of the vote and told supporters his debate performance stopped his momentum. Chris Christie, Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson rounded out the bottom three, and Christie and Fiorina dropped out of the race Wednesday.

Sanders easily defeated Clinton with 60.4 percent compared to her 38 percent.

Oregon standoff ends 

Four remaining protesters who have been held up at an Oregon wildlife refuge surrendered to the FBI on Thursday morning after several weeks of negotiations. 

The protesters had taken control of the refugee to protest what they saw as encroachments of private property and personal liberty. Two dozen others who were involved have also been charged.

Ammon Bundy, the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who had a similar standoff over grazing cattle on federal land in 2015, was leading the Oregon standoff. Cliven Bundy flew to Oregon as news of the surrender broke, and he was arrested in Portland, Ore., when he landed.

The refugee will continue to be closed as investigators collect evidence and search the area.

Student Government candidates announce

The race for Student Government at Iowa State has begun, with three parties announcing they will run for president and vice president.

Zackary Reece, junior in political science, will run with Cole Button, sophomore in finance.

Reece is a senator who represents the United Residents Off-Campus, and Button represents Inter-Residence Hall Association.

The Facebook page for this executive ballot is ReBuild with Reece and Button, and their Twitter page can be found at twitter.com/ReBuild_ISU.

Cole Staudt, senior in political science, will run with Cody West, junior in biology.

Staudt is a senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and West represents the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Staudt-West is the Facebook page for this executive ballot, and their Twitter page is twitter.com/staudtwest. Their website is www.StaudtWest.com.

Raghul Ethiraj, senior in aerospace engineering, is running with Akol Dok, senior in political science.

Neither Ethiraj nor Dok are currently involved in Student Government. The Facebook page for this executive ballot is Raghul and Akol for Student Government 2016, and their election website is TurnupWithus.com.

A full list of candidates can be found here.

-The Daily’s Zach Clemens contributed this section.

Jameel McKay still suspended

ISU forward Jameel McKay is still suspended indefinitely for an unknown reason. 

Coach Steve Prohm said earlier this week that McKay will continue to practice but will not play until further notice.

Confusion has surrounded the news because an ISU Athletics spokesperson has said the suspension is indefinite, while McKay tweeted and told the Des Moines Register the suspension would only be for one game.

Forbes gives Ames lowest unemployment rate in United States

A new report from Forbes lists Ames as having one of the lowest unemployment rates of a metro area. 

Forbes cites large employers such as Iowa State, the Iowa DOT and Mary Greely Medical Center for giving Ames a low 2.2 percent unemployment rate. The national rate is 4.8 percent.

Also on the list: Lincoln, Nebraska, Fargo, North Dakota and Burlington, Vermont.