Students for Rand members move on as candidate drops out

Alex Connor/Iowa State Daily

Sen. Rand Paul shakes hands with a supporter during a meet and greet event at Hilton Garden Inn on Nov. 12. Paul spoke on issues concerning immigration, taxes and education.

Alex Hanson

Now that the Iowa Caucus has passed, Iowa is presidential-hopeful free — but the campaign continues in other states with just as much media attention.

College students in Iowa may continue to volunteer for candidates of their choice, but what happens when their candidate of choice does poorly and drops out of the race?

The Republican field has been winnowed in half after Iowa and New Hampshire, and that includes U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who has decided to focus his time on his senate campaign. Paul’s campaign spent considerable time reaching out to college students in the state and made Iowa State the final stop on his campaign before Iowa cast its votes.

Paul came in fifth in Iowa ahead of establishment candidates Jeb Bush, John Kasich and Chris Christie, but well behind the top three — Ted Cruz, Donald Trump and Marco Rubio. Two days after Iowa, Paul decided to suspend his campaign for president, which disappointed members of “Students for Rand” at Iowa State.

“Oh man, I was so disappointed,” said Joy Battle, freshman in computer engineering. Battle said several friends actually tweeted at her and then she saw a message from the Students for Rand national director.

Battle ran social media for the group, which included getting the word out about the group in general and advertising events such as several campus visits from Paul leading up to the caucus.

“It was pretty disappointing because not only was it trying to get him elected [but] the ideas he supports are important,” she said.

Battle, originally from St. Louis, used to be involved in the group Turning Point USA, which advocates for limited government initiatives such as free markets.

Austin Dzik, junior in mechanical engineering, said he was also disappointed in the news that Paul dropped out.

“I expected him to at least go on to New Hampshire,” Dzik said.

But Paul, who had set a goal for 10,000 college student votes in Iowa, did not even make it to 10,000 total statewide.

In a statement, Paul said the fight for liberty “is far from over.”

In the political world, after a candidate drops out, supporters may flock to another candidate — which is true in the Paul camp. His campaign manager moved to Marco Rubio’s campaign, and an adviser in New Hampshire moved to John Kasich’s campaign.

“I’d expect some Rand [Paul] supporters to switch over to Trump,” said Mack Shelley, university professor of political science.

His reasoning? While some are skeptical of Trump’s conservative credentials, Trump has positioned himself as an anti-establishment, outsider candidate, just like Paul did in the race.

But Students for Rand members did not agree.

Battle said Cruz had always been a second choice for her, mostly because Cruz and Paul “are most alike.” However, after watching the campaign play out, she said she could not see herself voting for Cruz.

Dzik specifically mentioned Cruz’s hawkish foreign policy as a turnoff, and Battle agreed, also mentioning Cruz “abandoning” criminal justice reform, a position that Paul championed on the campaign trail and in the Senate.

Battle also said she has always admired Ben Carson, but once again, cannot see herself voting for him based on positions he has taken during the campaign.

While Battle said she does not consider herself a libertarian, Dzik describes himself as one. Both said they will consider voting for the Libertarian Party’s nominee in 2016, but will also continue to watch the GOP field.

Outside of the 2016 race, Battle and Dzik said the Students for Rand group said members will continue to be friends and are even considering spinning the group off into something that continues to advocate for the principles supported by Paul.

“The experience was pretty amazing for a freshman,” Battle said. “It was a lot of work, but I met a lot of great people, learned a lot about myself and other people, and I feel like I wouldn’t regret doing this again.”