Students offer services to file taxes

Photo illustration: Tomhas Huhnke/Iowa State Daily

The Financial Counseling Clinic at ISU offer tax advice to students until April 15. Students can try to find out how filing may be worth it for them in the long run.

Erin Gruba

ISU accounting students are providing free tax preparation assistance to the public through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program this season.

They are helping those with a household income of $54,000 or less. Electronic filing is also a free service for those eligible for federal and state returns.

In order to be selected as one of the assistants, business students must register online for a class on a first-come, first-serve basis. Prerequisites include having taken intermediate-level accounting classes.

The training and preparation are more rigorous because the tax assistance program is a government program. Anyone interested in the program is required to get eight different certifications that incorporate ethics training, form training and advanced military and foreign training. The current students involved have been preparing for the program since the beginning of the spring semester.

Students find this program to be beneficial because it allows undergraduate students to familiarize themselves with doing tax returns, and they get to help people in the community.

“This is the closest thing that we can provide in class that gives real-world experience,” said Mike Bootsma, senior lecturer in accounting. 

Jordan Kulow, graduate assistant in accounting, believes this is much different than working in an accounting firm, in which she has prior experience. 

“We focus more on the lower-income level students and we do a lot of foreign returns, which I haven’t seen lot of,” Kulow said. “It’s just broadening my horizons of tax accounting and the different applications of it.”

Response for this program has been positive, according to members. Appointments book within 24 hours from when they open and are full every day they have available.

The program runs from Feb. 15 to April 13 and is located in the Gerdin Business Building.