Editorial: University should pass alcohol amnesty resolution

Courtesy photo

Reports of underage drinking concern many. Student Government is proposing a drug and alcohol amnesty policy to the university that would give underage students immunity from legal repercussions if seeking medical attention from ingesting too much of a substance.

Student Government at its most recent meeting unanimously passed a resolution that calls on university administration to create a drug and alcohol amnesty policy for Iowa State. This policy would allow students who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol to be able to seek medical assistance without fear of disciplinary action from the university.

The university should adopt such a policy to keep the safety of its students as its first priority.

“There have been a lot of universities that have this policy,” Sen. Conner Tillo, junior in political science, told the Daily last week. “I feel it is extremely important to put the safety of the student first.”

Clemson University is one of those institutions that have adopted an medical alcohol amnesty policy to, “reduce the harmful consequences caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol.” Under the school’s policy, the student seeking medical attention and those whom seek medical assistance on behalf of another student will not be charged or sanctioned for violations under a university alcohol policy.

The University of Pennsylvania’s medical amnesty policy holds the same and extends to drug-overdose related incidents.

The current Iowa State Student Conduct Code states, “Alcohol may be used only in ways that neither harm nor degrade the individual or the university community. The university community must encourage responsible behavior for those individuals who consume alcohol and respect the rights of individuals who choose not to consume alcohol. Consistent with these rights, the institution will encourage responsible decision making regarding the consumption of alcoholic beverages.”

Punishment for underage students who are caught drinking underage could include a $200 fine, according to Iowa Code 805.8C, subsection 7, in accordance with the underage alcohol consumption description in Iowa Code 123.47. ISU Police in the 2015 Safety and You report state possession of alcohol under the legal age is $330.

With the fear of tainting a record, burning a hole in their pocket or making mom mad, it’s no wonder students would be hesitant to call authorities when they’ve had too much to drink. On average, according to the Centers for Disease Control, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers.

The ISU Police blotter shows that about 21 underage ISU students this semester have been cited or arrested for possession of alcohol or wrongful use of license, or using a fake I.D. That isn’t counting citations or arrests made by the Ames Police Department.

Drinking in residence halls is permitted, as long as the person possessing or consuming it is at least 21 years old; however, if one were to walk into any residence hall flooded with freshmen, chances are at least one room on each floor has some sort of alcohol stashed in a drawer or behind a laundry basket.

Iowa State should take Student Government’s resolution seriously. Punishment for drinking underage won’t stop some young college students for doing so, but allowing them a more guilt-free opportunity to seek medical attention could save their lives.