Cyclone softball signs five on National Signing Day

Mia Wang/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State players enter the field of the Iowa State vs Kansas game on May 3. The Cyclones defeated the Jayhawks 3-2.

Jared Bravard

Iowa State softball signed five new recruits to its 2020 recruiting class on National Signing Day Wednesday.

The Cyclone softball Twitter page sent updates throughout the day of the signees. Included in these updates was a quote from each of the five players. Four of the five specifically mentioned Iowa State felt like home.

Rachel Wicker

Wicker was the first signee of the day. She is an infielder from Puyallup, Washington. Wicker attends Rogers High School, which is located in Puyallup. She is a three-time First Team All-State player and Amateur Softball Association (ASA) National Champion. Wicker is listed as the 44th ranked player in the state of Washington by maxpreps.com.

Kali Gose

Gose is an outfielder from Hughson, California. She attends Hughson High School. Gose has placed first place in her respective region multiple times on the frontrowpreps.com leaderboard for batting average and hits.

Saya Swain

Swain is a pitcher from Paris, Texas. She attends Paris High School. Swain was named pitcher of the year in class 4A district 14 as a sophomore.

Alyssa Orr

Orr is from Fresno, California. She is an outfielder but also pitches. Orr attends Clovis North High School in Fresno. She is the 62nd-ranked player in the state of California, according to maxpreps.com. In addition to softball, Orr is a prolific track athlete, placing third in the 400-meter dash and sixth in the 200-meter dash at the 2019 CIF Central Section Valley Championship.

Abby Gunter

Gunter is from Salinas, California. She plays infield and outfield. Gunter attends Santa Catalina School in Monterey, California. She was named to the All Monterey County Softball Teams by the Monterey County Herald her freshman year.