ISU women’s track and field notches 10 top-five finishes

Senior sprinter/hurdler Alyssa Gonzalez competes in the Big 12 Indoor Championship at Lied Recreation Athletic Center on Feb. 28, 2015

Kyle Heim

After recording eight top-five performances in track events Friday at the Holiday Inn Invitational, the ISU women’s track and field team tacked on two more with a first-place finish in the 4×400-meter relay and third-place finish in the distance medley relay Saturday.

Freshman Jasmine Staebler notched the Cyclones’ first track and field event title of the season after placing first in the 1,000-meter run Friday. The Guttenberg, Iowa, native, crossed the finish line in 2:52.67, narrowly missing the cutoff mark of climbing into Iowa State’s all-time top-10 list for the event by 0.62 seconds.

Freshmen Erinn Stenman-Fahey and Grace Gibbons followed close behind in the 1,000-meter run with second- and fourth-place finishes, respectively.

Sophomore Jackie Feist added to the top-five performances for the Cyclones with a fifth-place finish in the 800-meter run.

The Cyclones added a 2-3-4-5 finish in the mile with junior Maryn Lowry, redshirt junior Maddie Nagle, freshman Anne Frisbie and Kelly Naumann, bringing the number of top-five performances for the Cyclones on the day to eight.

Day two for Iowa State at the invitational was highlighted by the 4×400-meter relay team, which consisted of Stenman-Fahey, senior Alyssa Gonzalez, freshman Emma Whigham and Staebler.

Staebler anchored the first-place relay performance for the Cyclones with a 55.88 split to complete a come-from-behind finish after trailing Nebraska entering the final leg.

Whigham and Fiest added top-10 finishes for Iowa State on day two, with Whigham finishing sixth in the 400-meter dash and Feist finishing seventh in the 600-meter run.